• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prusiks

Sackman

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere if someone can provide a link, but what type of rope are the prusiks made of? It seems like this would be the weakest link to me after receiving my mantis. I do have a ropeman on way it's way, but I'm curious as to the weight rating on that tiny rope that you are actually attached to. Thanks!

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere if someone can provide a link, but what type of rope are the prusiks made of? It seems like this would be the weakest link to me after receiving my mantis. I do have a ropeman on way it's way, but I'm curious as to the weight rating on that tiny rope that you are actually attached to. Thanks!
Seems to me I remember prussick cord being 2mm less than primary rope diameter. So a prussick for the Samson predator would be 9mm. But I'll let three more experienced guys on here comment. Wesspur has a ton of options for prussick cord.

Yes 2mm less is a good rule of thumb. Some ropes play better together than others. You an try different combos if you want but it's not necessary. Just stick with the 2mm guidance and roll be sure it bites properly if you want to go the least expensive route. I like to tinker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backcountry.com you can chat with someone

Yes 2mm less is a good rule of thumb. Some ropes play better together than others. You an try different combos if you want but it's not necessary. Just stick with the 2mm guidance and roll be sure it bites properly if you want to go the least expensive route. I like to tinker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess what I'm trying to understand is... why do I never see a kN rating for the prusik when that is what you're actually attached to? I can find one for the tether and biner, but not for the prusik. It would seem to me like that one would be just as important

After doing some deeper research, I did find that the 6mm sterling prusik cords that come with the mantis have a tensile strength of 1978#. It just seems weird to me that it wouldn't be something more widely discussed. When I saw the size of it, i was pretty leary to attach to it. Forced me to do some research though, so that's always good

So, to the experienced guys on here... Is that enuff breaking strength to hold? We were just talking about ropemans and minimum KN's. Interesting!! What say you??

The way we use our equipment is to keep us from falling not to catch us after a fall. If you think about it you can only slip which is not the same as a fall. A fall has a sudden stop and how far you fall has a lot to do with the pressure put on your equipment. With a slip you already have all your weight or most of it on your stuff so the pressure your equipment sees is already on it. I think if you slip you would not even see twice your weight put on the rope. I hope this makes sense.
Bob

Back