• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PSA - You need a first aid kit

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
So I had a great hunt last night but had a rough start! As I was climbing (sticks) I had multiple deer within 50-75 yds as I was getting setup. I just got my ROS setup & was on the bottom step of my top beast stick (still on LB). 3 does committed to a trail that would bring them inside of 40yds. As they went through some thick stuff, I quickly pulled up my bow. In my haste to grab my bow & ink op my pull rope I gripped the head of my quiver with my left hand to uncoil rope with my right. I realized instantly what a poor decision that was. My left index finger was stabbed my the back tip of the blade of my exodus broadhead still in the quiver. I managed to get unclipped & knock an arrow. Didn’t have a lot of time to assess the situation, the biggest doe was now broadside at 38-39 yds thought it was 34 I hit her lower than I held for instead of lungs it was very bottom of heart. Ok now to get to the point , I don’t have any type of first aid kit . I always thought it was unnecessary weight & bulk less than a mile or 2 from the truck. I stand corrected! I made a impromptu bandage from the fingers of my right glove & finished the hunt. Uneventful rest of the evening & short recovery of the doe. It would’ve been handy to have a few butterfly bandages & a little bit of sport wrap. Would’ve been much more enjoyable, especially inside of my rubber glove during field dressing! So all that to say re-evaluate your risk level......... wouldn’t cost much or weigh much & will definitely be in my pack next season!!

So I had a great hunt last night but had a rough start! As I was climbing (sticks) I had multiple deer within 50-75 yds as I was getting setup. I just got my ROS setup & was on the bottom step of my top beast stick (still on LB). 3 does committed to a trail that would bring them inside of 40yds. As they went through some thick stuff, I quickly pulled up my bow. In my haste to grab my bow & ink op my pull rope I gripped the head of my quiver with my left hand to uncoil rope with my right. I realized instantly what a poor decision that was. My left index finger was stabbed my the back tip of the blade of my exodus broadhead still in the quiver. I managed to get unclipped & knock an arrow. Didn’t have a lot of time to assess the situation, the biggest doe was now broadside at 38-39 yds thought it was 34 I hit her lower than I held for instead of lungs it was very bottom of heart. Ok now to get to the point , I don’t have any type of first aid kit . I always thought it was unnecessary weight & bulk less than a mile or 2 from the truck. I stand corrected! I made a impromptu bandage from the fingers of my right glove & finished the hunt. Uneventful rest of the evening & short recovery of the doe. It would’ve been handy to have a few butterfly bandages & a little bit of sport wrap. Would’ve been much more enjoyable, especially inside of my rubber glove during field dressing! So all that to say re-evaluate your risk level......... wouldn’t cost much or weigh much & will definitely be in my pack next season!!
Agreed 100% even a few bandaid and electrical tape (sticks when wet still) will go a long way!

Probably a good idea. They make some pretty small 1st aid kits that are about the size of a cigarette pack.

I've carried about 10ft of camo duct tape and 10ft of vet tape with me after catching a beaver stick up the side of my leg running maple sap lines in mid Winter a bunch of years ago! I rewrap the two so they look like a wallet. Takes up next to no room!

Keep em coming, I’d like to know some of what you guys take, it may be different for remote stuff but for single hike in & out hunts.......

Keep em coming, I’d like to know some of what you guys take, it may be different for remote stuff but for single hike in & out hunts.......

A good tip I learned was to carry a Nalgene bottle. Around the bottle you can wrap quite a bit of tape without greatly enlarging its profile. That coupled with gauze or even sh!t tickets would provide most general wound care, all the way up to a functional pressure dressing. Plus, in the event you don't need it for THAT reason, you still have tickets and tape for emergencies elsewhere.

I used to have one that I took with me, but I lost it and never replaced. I think the easiest thing is to buy a premade kit and then add things you think you want. For example here is a small one that is waterproof and only .4 lbs. I am sure some on here would be able to drill some holes in it and reduce that weight by at least 25%. :tearsofjoy:

Man I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, luckily it was as I was putting the bow in the back of the car at my house. It was the back edge of my 200 gr Grizzly Maasai, opened an impressive slice on the end of my finger. Took a couple bandaids and a lot of liquid bandaid to get that SOB to stop bleeding.

I’m only carrying 2 sport waterproof bandaids into the field but interested to see what others are doing as well.

Woundseal powder packet and electrical tape. Combined with paper towels it covers most things I have encountered in the woods.
I always have quick clot, super glue, bandages of some kind, and tape no matter where I am going in the outdoors! Sometimes I even carry some alcohol and supplies for stitching up wounds, depends on how deep and how long we are going! I have to be prepared because I am accident prone!! Also when I have my pack it always has a first aid kit!

This year I only got one deer...however when I opened my havalon I had it in my right hand and somehow sliced my left finger with a good gash. It bled pretty good. I didn't have a bandage on me, but I did have toilet paper. Stuck some paper on my finger and covered it with my rubber glove. The blood filled up the glove, but it eventually stopped. Gutted my doe with one a sliced finger that was covered with a TP and a rubber glove. I'll carry a small first aid kit next year.

I carry something like this but with the addition of quick clot. IFAK is Individual First Aid Kit for you pogs. Can be used by yourself or on yourself by a buddy. My hunting partner refuses to use a quiver and just shoves his arrows in his pack. I just know ima hafta use mine one day. Yes, I know.

If my sticks fell off I could either girth hitch the whoopie or use soft shackle instead of girth hitch and make alternating footholds to get down..... Don't do what I did and use 12 strand nylon. Id use amsteel.IMG_20200126_162530_0.jpg

Back