• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public access ? You tell me

Dietter700

I have a phone call into the game commission here in PA. I drove by this part I have marked with a yellow “ A “ . It definitely doesn’t look very inviting . There are no signs that say state game lands on etc. it just looks like a part of this guys farm. Let me know what you think. I know OnX can be wrong at times.

22c2653c5ea4a76ddf207f7de8da700b.jpg

80f23ab6a8b7363e82e71a058966c38c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you contacted the land owner to see if you can access via their land?

If it is an easement to get to the state land can it be used by hunters? I'm guessing yes.

It is only 50' anyway, so if you shoot something it would likely go onto the farmers property. That being said I have seen county maps be wrong on property boundaries. That especially looks suspicious unless it was for access to the property, but there is access to the North. Did you stop and talk to the farmer? I would try and get permission from him and he would likely know what the story is.

Kyler is spot on,your county very well may have an online tax map you can check. Even the podunk county i live in in upstate NY has that.

You can see the parcel lines continuing on the East side of the road. Depending on were your at in PA, it's possibly an old railroad ROW. Zoom out and see if the 60' wide parcel continues farther East/West.

In my experience in MD, when RR ROW's are abandoned the title often becomes 'murky' (at least to the neighboring properties as they all try to claim it.) It's also fairly common that title to the ROW is sold to the State/County/township, especially if it borders other Public land like this appears to.

I would wait and see what the game commission says. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to the landowner also, even if the commission say it's public access. It might save a hunt from being ruined over a shouting match.

Thanks for the advice . Yeah I would just check with the land owner but in these parts land owners don’t typically like me kind of people (flat landers that come up from the suburbs of the south East part of pa to hunt the north east) I feel like they would just say no. That’s I want to get my facts before going that route.

I’m going to try to check public records next chance i get.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice . Yeah I would just check with the land owner but in these parts land owners don’t typically like me kind of people (flat landers that come up from the suburbs of the south East part of pa to hunt the north east) I feel like they would just say no. That’s I want to get my facts before going that route.

I’m going to try to check public records next chance i get.

Thanks

Darn flatlanders. LOL. Only good thing is if you stop and ask him and show him the map, I am thinking even if it is his property he may let you access thru there since you were considerate of him and stopped to talk. If you find out the map is wrong I would still go that route to see what he says.

So here is the tax map says when I click on that strip. See photo.

Also the other thing that leads me to believe that it was made for an access is because the other side that looks like the same strip is owned by a normal land owner that owns the property around it. The side in question says it’s owned by the game commission.

e55403b2cb3718d64a66a8a6704319e5.jpg

I believe you guys are right I will talk to the land owner as well.

It is pretty safe to assume it is an access easement,but it will never hurt to take the extra step and talk to the landowner.

If they don't have a lot of posted signs along the road they may let you hunt. If they have safety zone signs around their house they probably have already agreed to let hunters on.

GW will have a map and will be able to tell you. He can write a trespass ticket and they usually wont unless they know they are right.

If they don't have a lot of posted signs along the road they may let you hunt. If they have safety zone signs around their house they probably have already agreed to let hunters on.

There are posted signs all along the road.

Back