• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public land, presets, and thieves

Weldabeast

SH Member
Ive had hunting equipment walk away on more than one occasion while trying to get preset trees on public land. Since ive discovered saddles i have some ideas that i think should work great. As a disclaimer this won't work for everyone but if you're skinny like me (170-180lbs), always broke, and good working with your hands this should help some people. I haven't hunted of these steps yet but I've been jumping up and down on they for a couple months now and they are solid. These only cost whatever the ratchet straps cost (harbor freight: cheap) for me because i find the 3'' sch40 pipe in the dumpster of a plumbing shop close to where i work. I make the sticks out of drops of 3/4 sch40 steel pipe....they are loud and heavy....but they are free to me. I've honestly been thinking of making throw away climbing sticks out of hardwood. The pvc steps are loud and hard to pack... I'm talking preset.... Set it and forget it. If you have access to the materials mentioned, a little welding skill, and time to get out there and get them in your tree, then if some a-hole does decide your stuff is better at his house you should only be out <20 dollars. I guess i should also mention on florida wma no cutting, drilling, or driving metal objects into trees. 1st pic is all my weight out on the tip....no pull off from the treeIMG_20190524_194529.jpgIMG_20190524_194406.jpgIMG_20190524_201655.jpgIMG_20190524_194620.jpg

....I've honestly been thinking of making throw away climbing sticks out of hardwood....

When I started deer hunting we used cedar trees with the limbs cut off to get up to the big limbs in trees. Leave just enough sticking out to use as foot pegs as needed. Also, it was not at all uncommon to walk up on “ladder stands” made from de-limbed cedar trees.

That’s basically a copy of climb paws. They work with cam straps but you may be better with ratchet straps for presets. I don’t like having something that visible in my hunting spots. I would at least do a sponge paint camo job on them.

Really like this idea. I've had quite a bit of stuff walk off on public land. Makes me think some people go shopping in the woods instead of the stores around here... Like was said I don't like leaving proof of where I'm hunting but I like to get into overlooking trees to scout even before season. This would be the perfect solution to preset them trees for cheap :)

I have actually had 5 stands stolen from private land and not one from public so far. I wish I hadn't just said that out loud.
I do like the concept. Looks like it would work well. Have you had any issues with the schedule 40 cracking? Breaking?

3" sch40 ? this would make for a nice preset , run and gun , setting up a platform is time consuming. for those deep woods hunts this looks cool. What are the angles your cutting and what are you using to cut the slots ?

Cut a 45, measure 1'' from the short point, then opposing 45 degrees. Mark out the slots then drilled some holes. Dremal tool with a side cutting bit too make the slots. Finished with hand file and sand paper....make sure there's no rough areas to damage the strap. Roughly 8'' long point to long point. Traction teeth done with a round file

Last edited:
I cut the 45s with a grinder and cut off wheel but i think it could be done with just about anything....just careful if using a electric miter saw on the second 45.....fingers would be pretty close to the blade

I've found bolts (private and some public) or SRT (private and all public) work best for presets. Cheap grade 8 bolts or paracord for SRT. Carry in your ROS or platform.

3" sch40 ? this would make for a nice preset , run and gun , setting up a platform is time consuming. for those deep woods hunts this looks cool. What are the angles your cutting and what are you using to cut the slots ?

A framing square is your friend

That looks pretty awesome! I guess the Harbor Freight ratchet straps are pretty strong then? I've bought some of the cheap ones from Walmart and had them snap on me under low load. I don't know if I will ever trust a cheap ratchet strap again.

Check out strap works USA , they also sell rolls of strapping. IE..olive drab 1" 6600 rated,(as I recall) ,45.00 per 300'roll

Back