• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

pull-up rope

Rex920

2022 was my first year saddle hunting and I loved it. Also added a boat to get to those hard to reach places. I'm interested to find out if most everyone is climbing with bow attached to pull-up rope attached to belt or some other method of retrieving the bow.

I'm currently using three sticks with aiders and attaching pull-up rope to my belt. Works well most of the time.

Thanks

All personal preference. I’ve switched a dozen times. Used everything from dynaglide to Doyle’s hoist. I found that a larger diameter line 1/4 or so is most comfortable. Doesn’t burn your hand and easier to grab for hoisting. Takes a little more space but everything is a trade off right!?

Thanks. I'm using 550 cord that packs well but if I'm not careful with it it can get tangled in the sticks.

I’m using the 6mm desert camo Sterling accessory cord right now and I really like it.

Thanks. I'm using 550 cord that packs well but if I'm not careful with it it can get tangled in the sticks.

I ordered my rappelling rope with an eye splice. I’m going to use that as my pull rope. I seen a guy’s video he said he has a hook on the end of his rappel line for pulling up his bow.

I use a loop of dynaglide at the end of my rappel rope. Works great and you don't have to carry anything else you could forget or drop.

Have not tried the repel method yet but thinking about giving it a try.

Same for me-rappel rope going forward- I ordered a rappel kit a couple weeks ago from EWO, & had them put a loop on the end. Although my rappel skills need work, I've done it enough now to know that it's how I'll come down every time! And, it's way easier to pull up & let down my bow & pack with that larger diameter rope!

I use a Doyle’s gear hoist in an EWO fleece pouch attached to my backpack. I climb sticks with my backpack on my back and the pouch attached to the side, far enough back that it doesn’t tangle with the sticks attached to the sides of my saddle or platform at the small of my back.

I could probably just attach my bow to my pack, but I’ve banged it around doing it that way so went back to the Doyle’s. I like how it stays neat without having to unpack my rappel rope or pull down rope until I’m ready to descend.

I ordered my rappelling rope with an eye splice. I’m going to use that as my pull rope. I seen a guy’s video he said he has a hook on the end of his rappel line for pulling up his bow.
I should have asked that question at first, if you were rappelling. You will like it!! And works great for your pull up rope!

I am 2tc/rappel with Doyle hoist with nitze S binner. The binner has 1 of the gates removed.

On the way up, I leave backpack with weapon on floor (binner is locked). The pull up when on hunting height.

On the way down, first in lower backpack/weapon with using S without the gate as hook(leave backpack on ground)
Release the hook, hoist the rope up and attach it to my rappel setup. Rappel down, use the attachment as pull down rope as well

So 1 Doyle hoist is multi use for everything

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

My setup is predator platform with three 20 inch sticks with aiders. Platform in pack and sticks attached to pack for walk in. Climb with pack on and platform in pack. Pull up rope attached to bow on ground. Last thing after setup is to pull bow up. Reverse everything on way down. I'm considering repelling for ease of coming down.

Never thought of the "s" biner trick on the Doyle's. Might give that a try. I do hate the dyna glide getting into every branch and twig after dark.

I am 2tc/rappel with Doyle hoist with nitze S binner. The binner has 1 of the gates removed.

On the way up, I leave backpack with weapon on floor (binner is locked). The pull up when on hunting height.

On the way down, first in lower backpack/weapon with using S without the gate as hook(leave backpack on ground)
Release the hook, hoist the rope up and attach it to my rappel setup. Rappel down, use the attachment as pull down rope as well

So 1 Doyle hoist is multi use for everything

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
Rope Doyles or webbing Doyles? What size is the S biner?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Right now I have a biner on my backpack handle. When I get to the tree I tie a loop in my rappel tag end and attach my pack. You just have to remember to untie the knot before you try and pull the rope back through the delta after your rappel. I did melt a hole in the end of my rappel yesterday and attached a loop of dyna glide. That should slide through the delta at the end of the day.

35' of 6mm Sterling accessory cord all the way here! It's easy to handle, doesn't really tangle, and is rated heavy enough to suffice for possible emergency uses, it also could be used for a multitude of purposes (from hanging a deer to quarter/debone to a easily manageable rappel retrieval line). I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the compact storage department, although I personally think that the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
2022 was my first year saddle hunting and I loved it. Also added a boat to get to those hard to reach places. I'm interested to find out if most everyone is climbing with bow attached to pull-up rope attached to belt or some other method of retrieving the bow.

I'm currently using three sticks with aiders and attaching pull-up rope to my belt. Works well most of the time.

Thanks

I'm using a similar setup to you- a set of sticks, an aider or two, etc. I use the Allen bow hoist which is similar to a doyles. Mine is attached to my saddle (velcro strap through the molle webbing) on my left rear. When I climb, my platform is on my right hip, two sticks are looped to an S-biner on my front left hip, and the hoist is left rear. I occasionally have the steps grab the line, but with the tension from the hoist its never enough to really make a mess of it. Its usually just a single wrap around a standoff.

I'm going to give 2TC a try this summer and I could see myself rapelling. In that case, I'd drop the allen in favor of using the rapel rope.

I climb DDRT or climbing sticks. So when I climb a rope I pull my gun or bow up with the rope. When I climb sticks I pull my weapon up with 550 paracord, which is always with me in case i want to leave a preset behind.

Back