• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

purchasing a new saddle

Tyler123

so i bought a tethrd mantis saddle and it made my hips hurt quiet a bit last year so I returned it. I am still very intrested in saddle hunting and want to give it another shot. I weigh about 230lb and am 6'3" I am looking at the tethrd Phantom. Any suggestions?

The phantom is a huge improvement over the mantis for me without adding the weight that other saddles have.
I am a little biased but if you choose to go a different direction you at least want an adjustable bridge, and some form or the comfort channels available on the phantom. There are other ways to change the angle of the dangle but not having something there to make that adjustment is a step back.

I had a Mantis and sent it back for the same reason. I recently bought a Cruzr XC, and I'm very happy with it so far. Different saddles fit different folks different ways, so your best bet is probably to find a Tethrd Teach N Train event or saddle hunter meet-up near you and try on as many saddles as you can.

Maybe give your location. I bet you can meet up with someone or two in your area to try there stuff. Find something you like.

I spoke to several members here before buying an H2 saddle. They had tried various saddles and loved their H2. The price point for the saddle and kit was perfect for me but like a previous poster said and I've read a hundred times is that not all saddles fit everyone the same because we are all built differently. A lot of saddles are adjustable though and can get dialed in for your personal comfort level. Hopefully someone near you will be willing to meet and teach.

Almost nobody is uncomfortable in a Cruzr. XC. It is the lowest risk saddle for a first time saddle hunter. Most will love it.
The rest are poor to second best or almost as good.
That said there are several saddles in the almost as good category

The flex, the recon, the H2 and the Tx5 would all be almost as good.

The Tx5 would be equal in comfort and better in other ways if I had it made the same size.

The reason the Cruzr XC is so comfortable

It is huge and
It is a flexible mesh

The JX3 is even more comfortable than a Cruzr but it is a different breed of saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Personally I liked the AeroHunter Kestrel Flex for multiple reasons, my only con was the fact that I felt the leg straps were designed more for a bigger framed body. I'm 6' 1" and around 175lbs, the leg strap buckles sat way to close to the boys for me if you catch my drift. Bigger thighs would prevent this problem.

With all that being said, I switched to the Phantom and I'm glad I did, HUGE difference.

Back