• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Putting on mantis

joel0711

Total newbie at saddles. Do most put on saddle at vehicle or leave in backpack to put on after arriving at tree?? Going to be using Silent Approach bags also.
After 30yr of packing 30lbs stand and extras,I'm ready to leave that load behind,especially since we hunt mountains no flatlands much in E.TN.

Either way works. I usually put mine on at the truck if I’m walking in. If I’m on the bike, I throw it in one of the saddle bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just depends on how far I plan on walking in, the longer the hike the more likely I'll stow it and put it on at the tree.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Always wear my saddle. With the Mantis I literally forget that it’s there and have had slight panic attacks thinking I forgot it!

It is WAY too hot in Texas for me to add another layer of fabric!!
Also, I keep 2 linesman belts/tethers in pouches on mine (one of them turns into bolts when using that method) so they can weigh down my pants a bit.
I chunk it in the backpack. Between my sit drag, and my ASAT leafy suit, I fill my tiny pack and can’t pack things I don’t need :)

I wear my Kite over early season light clothes. It it way more comfirtable to walk in than the Kestrel. Later in the year when I have to pack in heavier layers of pants I guess I'll dress at the tree.

I put my kestral on at home and wear it on the drive to where I hunt as well as walk in wearing it.

Back