• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PVC platform ring

Scott F

I may be on to something here tonight...

I hunted recently with a newly made platform that was patterned off of the ol' wooden triangle steps tied to a tree. I used plywood and a cam buckle, but the concept is the same. I wanted something that took up slightly less space to haul into the woods, and really wanted something that wouldn't make so much noise if I clanked it against something else while installing it.

I usually stand on my top step of my LW stick, with an additional platform step on the left and right of the LW stick. I just alternate from each of these three steps as needed to stay comfortable or to scan the woods. Hell, it is just fun to spin around up there sometimes! So tonight I intended to to make a single strap with a pair of DIY climbpaws out of PVC.

The problem with most DIY steps is that there is a portion of the web/rope/strap that holds your step to the tree is not in contact with the tree, this is the area immediately adjacent to the step and is the reason why some DIY platform steps wiggle when you shift your weight on them unless you have a retention strap that is REALLY tight. Another option is to increase the surface area in contact with the tree which is why most folks end up shaping a 'V' or 'U' channel down the long axis of their wooden step. In my case the other night it was about a 1.5" length of strap on each side of my platform step based on the diameter of the tree that I was in (or up?).

I decided to try a different PVC platform step that had every inch of the strap in contact with the tree. The pictures (if I post them correctly) show what I came up with. It is obviously just a test run product, please don't make too much fun of me for how 'refined' it looks!

What I found out is that the 4" diameter PVC pipe has a very wide base when it was cut like I did. The retention strap runs along the outside of the step, then the slots that I cut enable the strap to go on the inside of the step prior to making contact with the tree. [Note: I recessed the PVC a little deeper than the width of the strap where it would have 'cut' into the strap when it was assembled on the tree.] The reason that I wanted the strap on the outside then on the inside was twofold: first, it actually pulls the step closer to the tree when weight is applied because it is a wedge shaped object and secondly, the way the strap is configured it ensures that more of the retention strap is in constant contact with the tree.

I have only made one step but I intend on making a second one soon. My goal is to have 2 of these steps on a single strap and keep using my LW top step as the center of this system. During my test run it performed flawlessly although my 220lbs arse did make the PVC bend a little. I'm thinking that something with a thicker wall than schd 40 is in order for my next complete set.

Clever!! Ill order a set as soon as you start selling.

It seems like the steps would be really hard to move around the strap. Did you notice any issues with that?

No issue with moving the straps on the step (yet), but I have admittedly only used it one time.
I pulled the strap relatively tight for the picture, so that it is a better representation of how the strap would look when it is connected to a tree.

When there is no tension on the strap, it is loose and the step can be slid left/right quite easily.

I did sand the edges of the PVC where the strap contacts the step so there are no sharp edges.

When I get home from work today I am going to quickly make a second step and try it out with two steps on one strap. I'll see if I can get some pictures of that and post them.

That's good to hear. I made some climb paws knockoffs from PVC to use as a platform. They worked pretty well but were very cumbersome to install. Good luck!

Okay, I made a second PVC step and decided to take some pictures of them (1) strapped on a tree, (2) a top view of a single step, (3) the cam buckle and retaining strap, and (4) how compact it is when not in use.

I will be making a set out of schd 80 in the future. I may try a set in the future with some dynamic rope and a trucker's hitch to see if that works.
In the meantime, I'm going to hunt with these tomorrow morning. I have a doe in the freezer and a wife who doesn't eat venison so I received a very stern 'suggestion' to pass on ANY doe, no matter how tasty she appears on the hoof! We'll see...

The small piece of blue nylon is sewn so that I can pull the webbing back through it after the cam in operating. It is pretty tight when the nylon webbing is doubled up. The theory is that it keeps the webbing in the optimal position in the cam buckle to prohibit slipping. Again, we'll see...

Thanks.
The way I look at it, the worst thing that can happen is for one of them to break and I swing a little bit from a tree, but at least there won't be an witnesses ;)

Great idea! Anyone trying this out make sure you get solid core pvc, not cellular core

For what it is worth, I used 4" pipe and each step is 8" long.

If you make them, good luck. I have used them exactly twice but I may have gotten lucky each time :)
It would probably be worth your time to use schedule 80 but I didn't have any on hand.

I was thinking of trying to use a heat gun to form a set into a "V" shaped wedge instead of the circular wedge. They would pack up slightly easier.

The key is having your strap extend to the outside of the step, this pulls it closer to the tree when pressure is applied from the top.
Be sure to cut a relief channel for your strap where it contacts the tree or you may eventually look like a camouflaged lawn dart!

Nobody likes camouflaged lawn darts...

Got mine made! Seem to hold on tree good with just an ameristep strap.
Thanks for sharing your idea.

Wes, glad that it worked out.
I purchased a 4" diameter 45 degree angle connector. I'm going to make one out of this to see if the PVC flexes less when the strap is tight and weight is applied. The 'female' end of the connector will be the top because it is roughly twice as thick.

These would be cheap enough to leave out as preset platforms - but PVC does not handle UV sunlight. Guess we could paint them up camo?

The 45 should be somewhat stronger than the pipe, but more $$. The pipe seems ok to me but Im 160 lbs

Those cam buckles are not good for a strap on platform. I recommend using an over center buckle but you could use a ratchet buckle too. Let us know how this works out long term. My only concern with this design is the lateral force that the strap is putting on the PVC, not only is it pulling it in towards the tree but the strap is pulling each side out as well. Thicker PVC and that might not matter though, I don't know.

I like the idea though so keep us updated!

Went back to my wooden platform steps for my last two hunts. The PVC seemed okay until you crank it down, then it flexes too much and makes way too much noise on the tree.

I've sewn a new ratchet on the strap that I use for my wooden platform and it is a better (albeit larger) option than these PVC steps.
Folks that weigh less than 220 lbs may have a different outcome.

I guess failure is 'bad' if you learned something in the process. Time to keep learning...

Try schedule 80 pvc. I wonder if using a plastic roofing paint would coat them and quite them down. That's what I painted my old climber with?

the one and only "ImThere"

Back