• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

QAD Drop away rest

MA_PAdeerslayer

Rookie with drop aways.....arrow knocked perfectly level...full draw lines matched up...release arrow fly’s good hits target square and straight but after a few shots noticed black marks on the bottom of my fletchings.......any helps appreciated

Same exact issue with my QAD. But I'm a rookie too. My thought is it is the grip tape on the drop away rubbing off

You have fletching contact. Duh I know but we need to establish terminology. I’m going with your nock point being too low or your drop away timing is off. Grab some lipstick(no judgement) and run a thin coating on each vane, then shoot. You’ll see the lipstick on the drop away, tune accordingly. I’m assuming you’re shooting cock vane straight up, hens at 8 and 4 o’clock roughly?

Well it is that. But the arrow shouldn’t be hitting. It’s a timing issue I think but I can’t see where...
Well yes it shouldn’t be hitting but it is. Try the lipstick method and report back. You can also use foot powder or baby powder but I find lipstick is longer lasting

Exhumis exactly shooting position. I almost thought knock point to low. And I’ve thought that since I got the bow. Because my sight is bottomed out going down to get on target at 20. Which didn’t seem right. I’m no guru after just getting back into archery last year. However the arrow is level...so wouldn’t moving knock point up make me unlevel I’m the rest?? Don’t mind my ignorance

Exhumis exactly shooting position. I almost thought knock point to low. And I’ve thought that since I got the bow. Because my sight is bottomed out going down to get on target at 20. Which didn’t seem right. I’m no guru after just getting back into archery last year. However the arrow is level...so wouldn’t moving knock point up make me unlevel I’m the rest?? Don’t mind my ignorance
Some QAD models are known for bouncing off the shelf of your riser. If your nocking point is too low, then so is your fork on your drop away rest, giving less travel before hitting your shelf and exacerbating the bounce.

@Exhumis is spot on, troubleshoot with lipstick and report back to confirm.

Hmm. Let check some stuff. Rest even with Berger hole? Then arrow forming 90 degree angle with string and level? John Dudley has a good video on setting up a bow:

Some QAD models are known for bouncing off the shelf of your riser. If your nocking point is too low, then so is your fork on your drop away rest, giving less travel before hitting your shelf and exacerbating the bounce.

@Exhumis is spot on, troubleshoot with lipstick and report back to confirm.
Man that’s a good point I forgot about that since I don’t shoot qad anymore. Could be bounce back. Either way collect some data!

If you are shooting a QAD and getting fletching contact, then it is most likely due to the rest not being properly timed. If you have a draw board, draw your bow to full draw and then relax it down 1 to 1.5 inches. Then, adjust your timing cord until it is tight and the rest is fully extended as far up as it goes, then tighten the cord down in that spot. This makes your rest come to full position late in the draw. If you don't have a draw board, then video yourself and keep moving the cord or lengthening the cord until you get the same effect. The instructions QAD gives (let it adjust itself) always made my rest come upright too soon.

Last edited:
Ok figured it out. Even tho the lines were “matched up” the timing was off. Launcher wasn’t being pulled all the way up even tho lines were as book said they should be. So with that fixed we’re sighted in to 50 for the turkey opener on Monday!

Ok figured it out. Even tho the lines were “matched up” the timing was off. Launcher wasn’t being pulled all the way up even tho lines were as book said they should be. So with that fixed we’re sighted in to 50 for the turkey opener on Monday!
Glad it worked.

I have mine set so that the lines on the launcher and bracket go past each other and around 1 inch before full draw the launcher is as far up as it goes and the last inch of draw just tightens the cord a bit more.

Raisins that’s where mine is now!

Greg, there’s lines on launcher trigger and body of rest. When lined up at full draw they claim it’s timed correctly. Well they’re wrong lol. Mine is now how raisin stated his is! Back to knocking arrows. Made 5 full strut head shots today on the target at 50 outta 10 shots. All others were dead birds as well. Should be good for Monday!

How'd it go Monday? I found out the first time I set up a QAD myself that the lines were not to be trusted either. Looked right but was getting fletching contact just like you were experiencing.

Monday was slow. Tuesday few Jake’s came in, beat on the decoys and left. Yesterday had a shot at a nice Tom and somehow shot over him. Tomorrow and Saturday will hopefully put at least one down

Back