• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Qualified Climbing Instruction

sweats

So it's come up repeatedly in other discussions about the importance of safety, critically evaluating the gear you are using, how you're using it vs its intended use, and your methods overall. This got me wondering if there was anywhere you could go for hands on instruction and what you should look for.

So what say you all? Should you look for instruction from rock climbers or arborists? Are there certified instructors in these fields? How transferrable to saddle hunting are the skills they teach and knowledge of the equipment they use?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would think both, but heavier on the arborist side as most climbers are not climbing trees(although cave exploration uses many of the common techniques for saddle hunting). I really like this resource for information....
https://www.climbingarborist.com/
they have a pretty good SRT video series that shows many ways of ascending and descending a tree!
I think it's important to read the instructions on any device thoroughly and ask questions here when in doubt about any of it there are many guys here using SRT that are here to help. It would be nice if you could find a school specifically about saddle hunting though!
Decided to link to the SRT series videos....https://www.climbingarborist.com/srt-series/.

I've seen those videos, they are pretty good. I know MEC, which is very similar to REI has intro classes to backcountry camping, rock climbing etc. Not sure how valuable the rock climbing lessons would be. But my guess is it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

There are professional organizations like SPRAT & IRATA that serve as certifying agencies for industrial rope access climbers. I certified & tested through a training school called Altius (https://www.altiusts.com/) for work. The training was the same for both IRATA & SPRAT, with the final exams being different for each based their individual requirements. Choosing which one depends on what your client’s requirements are. SPRAT is mostly recognized in the US, while IRATA is internationally recognized. In general, IRATA requires twice the logged hours to advance in level than SPRAT.

None of this matters for saddle hunting, though. Not required, not necessary, and not even applicable to 90% of what a saddle hunter needs. But for a few thousand dollars anyone can take a Level 1 class. Or use this site, YouTube, and maybe an knot book or two (check out “The Tree Climber’s Companion” available from WesSpur and others), and a healthy application of common sense and you can hunt safely without incident.

I'm a Tower Safety and Rescue Instructor. One thing I always remind my students is that all these climbing skill are perishable...Usually if you don't use the gear and practice the skills, you need to spend more money on gear to out engineer your own lack of training

Rock climbers, and MOST of the arborist’s discipline can give us a decent idea on best practices, but they are vastly different than our application. I don’t know that either are a real facsimile to what we do.

If I had to choose a discipline to learn from, it would be arborists. But, if I wasn’t trying to learn DRT or SRT, I would add the caveat that I would want to learn only from their tree removal side. This is basically the only time they climb with a linesman belt. Since the tree is being killed, they will typically use spurs to climb and make the cuts. This is the most relevant motor function in relation to how we climb.

Heck, maybe just work a few days with a good tree removal crew, no need for a certified arborist at all. Those guys spend day in and day out in the same linesman belt configurations we do when we are climbing. Instead of paying for a class, offer your labor as a “hand” at a discount for the opportunity to pick their brain. Talk through what exactly saddle hunting is, show some pictures, and maybe show them some gear.... I bet they’d have a TON of relevant info to share with you.

You can, however, skip the lessons or class idea if you have a bit of patience. Start low. Set up 1 foot off the ground with your platform or ring of steps. Imagine every scenario you can think of in your tethered position. Shot angles from here..... now maybe from there.... buck moves from my left side to my right..... wow, one came in behind me.... now it’s directly in front of me on the opposite side of the tree.... now he is on my weak side. Your bow always starts on its hook, just like a hunting scenario, and you learn how to move into position regardless of where it is. The options should keep you busy for several days. This gets you comfortable in your saddle. This builds trust in your gear to hold you if you hook in properly. This builds you towards “saddle shape”.

After the “tethered in” practices (which should happen every year btw) you should move to climbing exercises. Find a limb on the right of the trunk low enough that if you make a mistake you won’t gravely injure yourself. Learn how to run your second linesman belt around it, and remove the first. Do it until it is second nature..... now, find one on the left side..... then, find one on the back of the trunk...... then, one on the front of the trunk.... you catch my drift.

Eventually, you end up like me and you trust your system enough to do a 200° twist around a trunk as it’s lean changes up to your hunting spot. Once you climb several wonky trees, you learn how you need to orient yourself. I find it easier if I am climbing on the uphill side. You only need 5-6 feet of a decent angle on a tree to set up in it. The rest can be as gnarly as nature can throw at you.

Below is a setup I prepped this summer. The red is where my platform ends up, and blue is where my tether hooks in. That trunk starts out leaning heavily to the right, it twists clockwise until it is leaning heavily towards the camera, then sharply twists until it is angled to the left. This setup truly twists 200° around the trunk to tether in... also, the yellow line is my trail camera (4 bolts high) and I use my Sit Drag and linesman to climb that ridiculously leaning trunk as well.

076e625f3cb0480fdfa715a35a724195.jpg

dda972155be98bcf84ac752c1c2fbeb0.jpg

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Back