• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quartering deer in the field

wes k

I recently moved to a new area and will be hunting on public land. Some of the area is pretty rugged by illinois standards and I am looking for some opinions on quartering and packing out or other options.
Thanks,
Wes

I do it all the time in the nj swamps. I have a frame pack like hikers use. Bags, knife, saw and one of those cheap deer pully hoists from walmart ect. I hoist him up by back legs. Cape him out for a mount then i bone the meat out and i am gone.

I do this also. Always on the ground where the deer or hog dies. Never hauled in a hoist. A buddy of mine showed me and that's all I do now where legal. He quarters his but if I have a few more minutes I just debone and carry all the meat out in my backpack lined with garbage bag. I start by cutting the hide from the tail up the neck. Then cut the hide down the legs and debone them, then take out the back strap and neck roast. Make a small incision after last rib along spine to reach in and get the in we loin out. Then I flip the hide back up to the spine, grab the legs and roll deer over then start peeling the other side down and debone.
This is my grinds video. I believe he has a better on on his page somewhere. http://youtu.be/KanEXYWB3gY The Alice pack with no frame has lots of room and easy to carry with the thick padded straps. Sometimes I use that if I go back to the truck before tracking or if I'm with a buddy we split the meat and haul it out in our hunting back packs.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm required to leave proof of gender attached but that's easy enough.
I still need to check with the park staff to make sure they don't have any site specific rules against quartering. Then I will start shopping for pack frames.

I know, old thread but when you do this a couple times and get your system down you may never drag again! That's a little how it worked for me.

Back