• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about access

dueaston

Aug 25, 2018
Looking for opinions on a piece of public land.

I've scouted an area of public land in between two areas closed to hunting. On the hard copy of the area map and on the most recent digital map available on the national forest website this spot is clearly and absolutely in the "hunting allowed" section.

When I look at this spot on the scoutlook app and Google earth it appears to be in the "no hunting" area. Would you hunt it? I'm trying to track down a local game warden for his opinion but I would like to hear from the folks here too.

Mengle

Jul 14, 2017
They usually have the trees marked where I run into a no hunting zone. I would just keep the hard copy of the map with you when you hunt it if it is a fairly recent copy

Reactions: Autumnrider

dueaston

Aug 25, 2018
This area does have trees marked at key locations but nothing in the field indicates that this area is off limits. I have considered printing out the map.

It seems like I have a knack for finding these complicated areas lol.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I have a couple similar spots. I go by the maps that are posted on the state website. I at least keep a pdf copy on my phone for reference if I'm ever questioned. I think that would hold up better than a third party like scoutlook or onx which are not exact.

Reactions: dueaston

Jonny

Aug 7, 2018
Wisconsin
I have a couple of these in Wisconsin. No entry wildlife refuges. I go off the signs they pounded into the swamp. Figure that is why they put them there. Even though they are not accurate compared to the map. Sometimes off by 50’

Whatever you do, I would carry a copy that supports your location with you. Last thing you want is the warden to pull out a copy of the map that goes against you and you don’t have anything to support yourself.

dueaston

Aug 25, 2018
I agree. My gut feeling tells me I should go with the maps provided in the ranger office and on the website.