• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about Otters...

MaxJac

I'm hunting a private property with two lakes, separated by a dam, one with higher water level than the other. The overflow is regulated by 3 drain pipes. It is a constant battle to keep the pipes free of debris, branches, floating gras and other stuff. The big challenge are the critters in the what I call the "upper pond" as it seems beaver keep clogging the pipes up. There is a huge beaver lodge on the bank in the swampy area. Although hunting for years there now, I never saw a beaver, but have seen plenty of otters. The different tail form is a giveaway what I'm looking at. There is no doubt I have seen otters playing while hunting with view over the water.

So, long story short, here is my question. Does anybody know if otters have the same "urge" to stop running water as beavers have? This is an expensive issue for the land owner, as the clogged up pipes caused water flowing over the dam twice, causing major damage twice which required bulldozer and excavator to fix it.

Here in NC beaver can be removed year round with permission of the landowner, which I have. So, I might not be hunting for deer, but for beaver. Unless, it's the otters causing the problem.

Thanks for reading so far and for any information.

It's just the beaver. Only thing the otters are going to do damage wise is eating all the good fish.

To take care of the beaver, find a good trapper. NC is way too far away for me unless you can set me up on a lot of properties with beaver and otter :p

I've never heard of otters damming waterways. A beaver sure as heck will. They're my little wood duck pond making friends. I wish one would set up shop on the creek that runs through my lease and flood a few acres for me.

It's just the beaver. Only thing the otters are going to do damage wise is eating all the good fish.

To take care of the beaver, find a good trapper. NC is way too far away for me unless you can set me up on a lot of properties with beaver and otter :p
Finding a trapper is one way to go. Mind sharing some insights on trapping those critters? I know where to get the traps and where to get the tags. I'm certain there is more to it than just getting the hardware. Happy to learn something new.

Otter aren't homebodies for another thing. They rarely set up on an area for more than few days outside of the female when the babies are very young. They tend to travel in routes and might not be back to an area for months. We joke a lot about otters that the worst thing you ever want to see is fresh otter sign as they wont be back for a while. They're such highly efficient predators that they can clean an area of fish, or crawfish,out quickly when they do stick around.

Finding a trapper is one way to go. Mind sharing some insights on trapping those critters? I know where to get the traps and where to get the tags. I'm certain there is more to it than just getting the hardware. Happy to learn something new.

My website for a start...

I've got some videos on my youtube , under Snipers Trapping Place.

They're pretty simple to catch...until you get paid to catch them lol then they seem to get PhDs in trap avoidance.

Feel free to ask questions. Another good resource is trapperman.com. It's ran by a guy in Goldsboro that traps beaver nearly all year for the timber companies and makes one of the most popular beaver lure in the country. I'm on the forum under the same name.

Look up beaver flow devices. Basically a man made device that doesn't allow the beaver to clog the outflow pipe. Look up beaver proof culvert.

Look up beaver flow devices. Basically a man made device that doesn't allow the beaver to clog the outflow pipe. Look up beaver proof culvert.
Those type devices can be successful in very limited circumstances. You can't just put them in any old culvert or overflow. Plus they have to be maintained of will fail within two years. Most places your bette off designing for easier clean out and removing the beaver quickly. They aren't effective for established colonies.

X2 on them jokers having PhD's. i found big footholds the way to go on their runs in about 12-18 inches of water where they start putting their feet down. good luck catching them.

Back