• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about steps

ThePhantom

Hey folks,

I have a JX3 on the way and have been looking around at different footing options. It seems as though a platform is not really necessary. From what I have found, double steps on my top stick look good for small trees and a ros for larger trees. Does anyone have any experience with the artisan outdoors stick mod? I will be primarily sitting in this thing as it’s how I hunt out of a tree stand. Thanks in advance and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you need with the jx3 for comfort is the top of the stick. However if you want to move around the tree a little better I put two Steps on one strap so I can move to either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have used a homemade JX3 type, a Guido's and the new JX3 saddle since the late 80's.
The best footing option I found is at least four steps equally spaced around the tree weather they are bolts (my favorite) or strap on steps.
You will enjoy true 360 degree shooting with the minimum of 4 step configuration.

I appreciate the help. I don’t necessarily want to move around the tree but do want the ability to if the need arises. I’m thinking a few steps and the stick should work. I’ll have some time to get it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being able to move around the tree is key for me, and with the bolts or steps spaced around the tree,
I can "hide" from prying eyes and make an easy shot.
My feet are always on bolts or steps, giving me a very steady postition.
I like to think I know where the deer are coming from, but not always the case.

A platform isn't necessary with a JX3 but it helps if a deer approaches from in front of you on your weak side.Rather than making noise and creating movement by moving around the tree,all you have to do id turn,put the tether across your shoulder and shoot.It's easier and way less movement than trying to walk around the tree.I had OAL make a strait scout platform for my shikar stick.It stick out far enough from the tree that I can turn and shoot from it.

Back