• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about stiff rope?

Recurveaholic

With stiff rope that will not tie a good knot do you think the cable connections (that you screw down tight to make a loop) would hold or would it pinch it too much???

What kind of knot are you trying to tie? I ask because a butterfly knot will hold in just about any rope.

I always use a backup knot if my rope is stiff like a double overhand. You could always add more.

I always use a backup knot if my rope is stiff like a double overhand. You could always add more. I'm thinking a steel cable connector will damage the rope.

With stiff rope that will not tie a good knot do you think the cable connections (that you screw down tight to make a loop) would hold or would it pinch it too much???
My primary concern would be slippage. Stiff rope while stiff would still have some give so you'd really have to cinch those things down tight, so tight I'd worry about cutting the rope. Wire rope has no give so you can cinch them tight to the point of crushing them and they shouldn't give. Wire rope clips require future maintenance and retightning not to mention lots of bits that stick out and could snag. You could use an hour glass sleeve but if I recall what my old Bosun taught me correctly you only retain 30-40% of the line/rope strength with a sleeve. You're better off finding a knot that works IMO. I use sterling 9mm HTP for my linemans which is pretty stiff and I have a figure eight securing it to my loops without issue.

What is this stuff rope?
I use Kermantle and it is the stiffest I have ever used. My climbing and rigging lines are much softer and flexible.

I use fisherman's knots as my go to termination without a back up knot.
When tied I then secure them to a tree or something stable and lean into them.
They tighten up and then I get on the tree just off the ground and put all my weight on them and they bind up but good.

What is this stuff rope?
I use Kermantle and it is the stiffest I have ever used. My climbing and rigging lines are much softer and flexible.

I use fisherman's knots as my go to termination without a back up knot.
When tied I then secure them to a tree or something stable and lean into them.
They tighten up and then I get on the tree just off the ground and put all my weight on them and they bind up but good.
It is climbing rope I got from one of my friends that work in the safety industry and it had a knick in it so they could not use it anymore but even after cutting that off there was still over a hundred feet and it is 11mm it is a white rope with little bits of red in it not sure what brand! When I tie a figure eight in it and put all my 200lbs on it the knot will not even come close to cinching down! The tightest I can get it and it is still has inch and a half gaps! It is the stiffest rope i have ever seen! I can pull a car with the figure eight and it will not cinch down!!! It is impossible to tie a knot in!!!

My primary concern would be slippage. Stiff rope while stiff would still have some give so you'd really have to cinch those things down tight, so tight I'd worry about cutting the rope. Wire rope has no give so you can cinch them tight to the point of crushing them and they shouldn't give. Wire rope clips require future maintenance and retightning not to mention lots of bits that stick out and could snag. You could use an hour glass sleeve but if I recall what my old Bosun taught me correctly you only retain 30-40% of the line/rope strength with a sleeve. You're better off finding a knot that works IMO. I use sterling 9mm HTP for my linemans which is pretty stiff and I have a figure eight securing it to my loops without issue.
And getting it tight enough to hold would mean possibly cutting it, this is what I was thinking and worried about!!!

It is climbing rope I got from one of my friends that work in the safety industry and it had a knick in it so they could not use it anymore but even after cutting that off there was still over a hundred feet and it is 11mm it is a white rope with little bits of red in it not sure what brand! When I tie a figure eight in it and put all my 200lbs on it the knot will not even come close to cinching down! The tightest I can get it and it is still has inch and a half gaps! It is the stiffest rope i have ever seen! I can pull a car with the figure eight and it will not cinch down!!! It is impossible to tie a knot in!!!
Hmm. Is it the core or the sleeve that's so rigid? Got a come along? Put the loop in the hook, run the other end through the hitch of your truck and crank that bitch like it owes you lunch money. Not to sound like a product placement ad but that's why I switched to 9mm and 8mm oplux. Easier to tie. I get free is nice tho.

Back