• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for the Arkansas members....

dalton916

SH Member
Especially the turkey hunters.....area in question is East Central Arkansas.

When do the leaves start to bud out on average and when are they starting to fill the canopy? Last week of March? First week of April? Sooner? Later?

In little rock right now the bradford pears are full bloom to leaf out and the redbuds are starting to bloom. It seems like we are about a week ahead of normal. If you are planning to turkey hunt I hope you have a connection to some ground inside the river levee cause not much in the way of turkeys outside of that. Overall the population statewide is way down. Spray your clothes with sawyers for ticks though they arent very bad over in the eastern part of the state and expect to see snakes. Depending on the weather the skeeters can be pretty bad too.

BTaylor gave a good assessment. I live about 35 minutes south of little rock, The redbud in my yard are popping and every pear tree around has blossomed and one I know of has started leafing out. I say the canopy will start filling on everything else last week of march to first week of april if the weather patterns hold. No doubt bring something for the ticks and skeeters. I found a tick on me last sunday from scouting for turkey sign, it was 28 degrees when I got out of the truck at daylight. Back to the truck in 3 hours it was 43 degrees and I had a tick on me. Also several times while bowhunting in February the skeeters would swarm and I've already seen a couple snakes this year. Mild winter is gonna have all the bugs and snakes population up. Very, very few turkeys around, except in little pockets here and there and those places get less and less every year. Good luck to ya!

Bradford pears are a scourge and should be eradicated. Hate those damn invasive things. I’m not planning on turkey hunting, but I knew if anyone would know the answer to that question it would be turkey hunters, that’s why I specifically mentioned them

Bradford pears are a scourge and should be eradicated. Hate those damn invasive things. I’m not planning on turkey hunting, but I knew if anyone would know the answer to that question it would be turkey hunters, that’s why I specifically mentioned them
There are no crappie left in that part of the state and if you do find one it prolly dun caught the corona. You have to be coming for crappie cause duck and deer season are closed and you said it wasnt to turkey hunt. There is no other reason to be in that part of the state unless you are looking for the best BBQ on the planet. In that case, we can point you to glory.

There are no crappie left in that part of the state and if you do find one it prolly dun caught the corona. You have to be coming for crappie cause duck and deer season are closed and you said it wasnt to turkey hunt. There is no other reason to be in that part of the state unless you are looking for the best BBQ on the planet. In that case, we can point you to glory.
Too funny ! Just point one state north of you & you’ll find it there.........

Big fan of SLAPS and Q39 in KC for ribs, burnt ends and brisket but if you want the best sammich, it is found in the delta. Wife and I make a trip to KC every year just to eat at SLAPS and Q39. I have chased great BBQ over about 2/3 of the country and grew up in the delta around Memphis. Those 2 spots in KC are the only ones I have found outside the delta that warrant the travel and they are worth it without question. Q39 also has the best wings I have ever had but I am not a wing fanatic.

Start pointing towards this glory you speak of....

Not crappie either. I’m a surveyor, I’m coming out to survey.

Start pointing towards this glory you speak of....

Not crappie either. I’m a surveyor, I’m coming out to survey.
Ha!! We can save you a trip. Other than Crowley's Ridge it is skillet flat and grows beans rice and corn. ;)

BBQ depends on where you are going to be town wise. If you are going to be in the Marianna and Helena area then Cypress Corner BBQ. It's my all time favorite sandwich. It's on Hwy 1 about 5 miles south of Marianna, an old general store building. In Marianna, there is Jones BBQ. They won A Beard Award. But go early, like 10am early. They only cook a certain amount of meat for each day and when it is gone they lock the door. Seldom open til noon.

Come into Arkansas at Helena, I’ll have to check those places out, thanks

To get to Cypress Corner, head west out of town on Hwy 49. When you get the the little community of Barton, hang a right and head north on Hwy 1. It's 5.5-6 miles up on your left. They close promptly at 5 pm.

The hot is hot. They have mild medium and hot. I normally get 2 jumbo's no slaw and medium.

Last edited:
That’s where the tractor dealer is, right? If I’m remembering correctly then I know exactly where you’re talking about turning.

Perfect. I have friends in Clarendon, won’t be messing with any Helena/West Helena folks.

If you are going to Clarendon, then stroll over to DeValls Bluff and try out Craigs BBQ too. It's good but it's not close to Cypress Corner imo. That said not much is more subjective than BBQ. LOL

Back