• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for the reloading crowd

ShooterMike

I got in to reloading 3 or 4 years ago - went with an XL750 thinking I'm gonna loading my tail off. I realistically load 4 different calibers and maybe 100/mo sometimes none. Sometimes slightly more. I have a fair amout of ammo stored at this point. Here's my dilemma- I picked up a 45-70 and want to reload for it. It is the only large caliber I have. Besides another caliber conversion kit, I'll also need the Magnum Rifle Casefeed Kit too. For those two things I'll spend $300'ish + another $50 if I buy the automatic casefeed plate for Large Rifle Cases. For about the same cost, I could get a single stage press setup with Lock N Load bushings for the 45-70. In a lifetime, i can't immage I'll load more than a few hunded 45-70 cases - lets say 1000 at the most over the next 20 -30 years. But Im not so sure I want to be shooting 45-70's when I'm 80 years old anyway. So what do I do - setup a single stage for 45-70 and leave it be? Seems it'd be easier than changing the casefeed system and caliber conversion kit back and forth just to do 20-40 rounds at a time.

Get a beefy single stage press like a Rock Chucker or equivalent. Not because you need a heavy duty press for 45-70 but down the road if you ever need to do any case forming you’ll want the heavier press.

I don’t load a ton and have two single stage presses. It makes it a lot easier/faster with two presses. I still have to swap out the factory crimp die but do that at the end as a batch. Some people don’t do the factory crimp though.

I bought a “seconds” Hornaday press on eBay. The paint was chipped so I got a really good deal on it.

Have a Redding Ultra Mag single stage press that rocks
It'll last forever and although it isn't needed for 4570 it'll resize those like there 9mm it's so easy. My giant .338-378 cases are effortless

I'm very happy with my Rockchucker. I've got a LNL conversion kit I haven't installed; I've got dies for well over a dozen cartridges and right now I'm not willing to shell out for the adapters for all of them, let alone figuring out how to store dies that no longer fit in the storage boxes.

Right now. I don't think I'll ever do enough volume to justify a progressive. You're also highly unlikely to shoot enough .45-70 to need to load for it on a progressive. Batch-processing 50-200 rounds at a go is pretty straightforward - I've got my own workflow but you'll come up with your own. And don't sell out shooting a thumper in your 80s, you can totally find some CAS loads and put 185gr pills over some Trailboss and still roll deer up close.

I'll chime in for the Rockchucker too. Built like a tank and will last a lifetime. To be honest, I loaded quite a lot if cartridges, including 45-70 in a Lee single stage and Lee die. I've worn several Lee's out over the years and love my Rockchucker, but for the money you can do a lot with a Lee.

For small batches of ammo (20 or less) and especially when working up a load, a single stage press is actually faster than a progressive if you add setup time into the equation.

Yeah, that’s a significant portion of me leaning towards adding a single stage. My Dillon would require not only swapping conversion kits, but also the swapping out for the magnum case fee kit.

9mm, 40 S&W and some of my 300AAC is well suited for the progressive, but after all this discussion I think I’ve realized the single stage has its place too.

I went ahead and ordered the Frankford Arsenal F1. Midway had it for right around $100. I also ordered a FA hand primer and a FA Benchtop Powder Throw- reviews show it’s highly accurate …. we’ll see. If it’s not I can just scale and funnel pour, I guess. I figure I’ll give the LNL Buahings a go too. Should help expedite things a little bit anyway. All in all, it was till cheaper than buying the caliber conversion kit magnum case feed kit, and case feeder plate. Besides, the 45-70 caliber conversion kits are on back order.

Semper Fi,
Mike

For small batches of ammo (20 or less) and especially when working up a load, a single stage press is actually faster than a progressive if you add setup time into the equation.
I'll caveat by saying I've never used a progressive... but I have a Lee turret, which is decently close to one. Amd I very much prefer doing my load development on my Rockchucker.

I've also got a cheap Lee C-type press and an old Redding. I can line them all up and move a case through as many of them as I need. I generally prefer to hand prime, and just recently got into wet tumbling... so I decap/size, tumble, prime, charge, seat, and crimp (Lee FCD FTW, and I know I don't have to crimp as much as I do, I won't be dissuaded).

Which doesn't really answer your original post except to suggest that your O-type single stage might start reproducing through mitosis at about the same rate you start adding cartridges to your collection...

I'm very happy with my Rockchucker. I've got a LNL conversion kit I haven't installed; I've got dies for well over a dozen cartridges and right now I'm not willing to shell out for the adapters for all of them, let alone figuring out how to store dies that no longer fit in the storage boxes.

Right now. I don't think I'll ever do enough volume to justify a progressive. You're also highly unlikely to shoot enough .45-70 to need to load for it on a progressive. Batch-processing 50-200 rounds at a go is pretty straightforward - I've got my own workflow but you'll come up with your own. And don't sell out shooting a thumper in your 80s, you can totally find some CAS loads and put 185gr pills over some Trailboss and still roll deer up close.

That’s what I was thinking too- will likely only load less than 50 at a time of the 45-70.

Help me out with the abbreviations- I’m still new to reloading. What’s a “CAS” load ?

Semper Fi,
Mike

Yeah, that’s a significant portion of me leaning towards adding a single stage. My Dillon would require not only swapping conversion kits, but also the swapping out for the magnum case fee kit.

9mm, 40 S&W and some of my 300AAC is well suited for the progressive, but after all this discussion I think I’ve realized the single stage has its place too.

I went ahead and ordered the Frankford Arsenal F1. Midway had it for right around $100. I also ordered a FA hand primer and a FA Benchtop Powder Throw- reviews show it’s highly accurate …. we’ll see. If it’s not I can just scale and funnel pour, I guess. I figure I’ll give the LNL Buahings a go too. Should help expedite things a little bit anyway. All in all, it was till cheaper than buying the caliber conversion kit magnum case feed kit, and case feeder plate. Besides, the 45-70 caliber conversion kits are on back order.

Semper Fi,
Mike

All my pistol gets reloaded on the progressive, as would AR ammo if I had one. I load almost all of my rifle ammo on my old Rockchucker.

That’s what I was thinking too- will likely only load less than 50 at a time of the 45-70.

Help me out with the abbreviations- I’m still new to reloading. What’s a “CAS” load ?

Semper Fi,
Mike
Cowboy Action Shooting. Especially with .45-70 and other "old west" rounds, shooting quickly at close range targets, often with antique or reproduction guns that shouldn't take modern ammo. At speeds calling for lightened recoil. Good starting point for practice or powderpuff ammo for practice or teaching young'uns.

Cowboy Action Shooting. Especially with .45-70 and other "old west" rounds, shooting quickly at close range targets, often with antique or reproduction guns that shouldn't take modern ammo. At speeds calling for lightened recoil. Good starting point for practice or powderpuff ammo for practice or teaching young'uns.

Ah. thank you.
The range I belong to has a club that does that a few times a year. Looks all kinds of fun.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I have a Hornady LNL on the bench next to a D550. Very handy. In fact, anything "precision" gets loaded exclusively on the single stage. 300WM is the biggest I load.

No complaints about the Hornady, but I've not had experience with anything else. It does the job. The quick-change bushings are useful.

For those of you who have experience with 45-70 and other straightwall rifle cartridges, can you educate me on the need to trim those cases? From what I’ve come across from trying to find info is, most cases can take about 5 firings before trimming is an issue.

It makes sense why they don’t stretch like a bottle neck cartridge does.

Semper Fi,
Mike

For those of you who have experience with 45-70 and other straightwall rifle cartridges, can you educate me on the need to trim those cases? From what I’ve come across from trying to find info is, most cases can take about 5 firings before trimming is an issue.

Semper Fi,
Mike
I shoot .444 Marlin. Leverguns are highly sensitive to COAL and will not cycle if too long or short. Also, because of the tubular magazine, you need a firm crimp, preferably in the cannelure. So if your brass has inconsistent lengths you might get inconsistent cycling. Not really an issue if you're shooting a single-shot.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Gunna depend on what kind of pressure you run and if you crimp.
My 460 S&W needs to be trimmed every other shot to get a consistent crimp.

Back