• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for the Southern boys on here

NDH

I'm headed to Ohio this weekend to hunt the bow opener with my brother. It's going to be high 80's both days I'll be in a tree on this trip.

Is wearing shorts to hunt deer something I can get away with (earth tones)?

I'm headed to Ohio this weekend to hunt the bow opener with my brother. It's going to be high 80's both days I'll be in a tree on this trip.

Is wearing shorts to hunt deer something I can get away with (earth tones)?
Interesting question, I know some guys that have worn shorts, but not I. Even in the 90’s I’m about protecting my hide. Too many ways to tear up your knees and skin yourself

I live in SC and hunt in 90°+ weather and have never hunted in shorts. A thin pair of 100% polyester pants are actually very cool. I have thought about wearing shorts before but I like to be camoed up so the deer don't see me. It would probably be fine tho if u got really hairy legs haha.

The Algonquian peoples couldnt afford Sitka Gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing as how the Algonquin are primarily spread around New England and Canada, I’m not exactly sure how this is relevant advice for hot weather hunting...but I appreciate the reply anyway.

Mississippi guy here, I have some really thin early season pants and one of those stretchy spandex feeling shirts with a mesh back by Nomad, not sure of the material but they dry really quick. I wear them and rubber boots. When I get set up, I fold my rubber boots down and roll my pants legs up for a few minutes to help get cooled down, then I’ll roll pants back down but leave my boots folded down until I get ready to come back down. Once temps get down below 85 or so, it’s not that bad and I don’t have to do that. I do sprinkle the “downstairs” area with a scent free powder, can’t explain how much this helps in the heat..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorn bushes!!! My arms are all scratched up from my Tuesday hunt with short sleeves. The deer were in the thick stuff. Wounded deer seem to run right through the thickest brush and they must be followed.

In Michigan, when it's in the 80's or 90's, we wear one of these and use a small bucket of face paint.

be36ac35-bf57-4a55-be8e-86ac178e10bb.jpg.webp

In all seriousness......i like the tech material (quick dry) pants that zip off to shorts. Wear them as pants for walk in to combat thorns and ticks/chiggers then zip of the pant legs once up in the tree

I use light clothes like Columbia or even Columbia with bug tamers on top. Florida it can be above 100 with 100% humidity. Maybe 80 when you walk in at 4 am. Besides my neon white legs would be Like a light house in the woods. The disadvantage in being in IT security is pants for meetings and almost always inside buildings that s lack of sun

I’d find you some quick dry stuff. I use broadside camo light weight and I’m actually cool in it here. I’m in sc and on Monday when I shot that deer it was 90 outside on my walk in was I sweating yeas but I wasn’t hot because of the camo I wear. Those thorns and chiggers will eat you alive if not!

Shorts will work. So will swim trunks. So will lightweight, athletic style pants made from a very light nylon or poly material. Drab/earth tone colors are usually cooler and more breathable than camo due to how the pattern is printed on the fibers.

Turkey hunting pants are also nice. I have a favorite pair that are made out of mesh. Kinda like basketball shorts.

Back