• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for the Whoopie Sling Experts

donnieballgame

I was lucky enough to win one of Ernie's XOP post platforms at Saddlepalooza and Ernie set it up with a whoopie sling and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I was wondering if there was a trick to it.

It seems like to me that it doesn't always cynch down on the rope and hold tight, half of the time it seems to just slip and slip. I was hoping it was a simple fix or something I was doing wrong. I do not think I could go into the woods with something like this as I have no confidence in it's ability to hold my weight. Please prove me wrong.

I don't like the UCRs or Woopies for our purposes. I used them at first but quickly changed my tune.

I MUCH prefer a cam strap. It's a lot more user friendly.

I had the same experience. I tried to make the Whoopi sling work but finally got fed up with it. Cam straps are certainly superior for this application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't like the UCRs or Woopies for our purposes. I used them at first but quickly changed my tune.

On the Ernie stand xop seat I have the Whoopie on that. I felt fine using that the couple of times I have deployed it. I saw yesterday how he was suggesting amsteel with loops to take the pressure off ears.

After you saying that I will not bother going to a Whoopi’s sling on the predator. Ill just take the small weight penalty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it was @SG843 who won a platform with a whoopie sling also. I remember yours slipping and when we set his up there was no problem at all getting it tight. Maybe he could comment on it as whether or not he's had any problems with his. But I remember specifically you not being able to get yours tight and I asked to try the other one that was giving away and it cammed over tight with no problems. I wonder if it could be something to do with your specific whoopie sling? It doesn't seem like that would be a logical explanation, but who knows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input fellas, I'm gonna keep messing around with it, I know some folks use them for lineman belts right? I'm not sure I could do that based on my experience so far. I did order a strap from lone wolf so I can use the platform regardless, I was just curious what other folks thought.

I use Whoopie slings on my hammocks and they hold fine. They do have to stretch before locking. That’s why I don’t like them for platforms or sticks.
Or maybe the bury isn’t long enough to grip on that one.

I made a 1/4” amsteel whoopie for my bridge works great. I also have a double whoopie aider that works fine to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a whoopie on my platform for a full season. It did work but man it was a pain some days! I switched to a Lone Wolf cam strap and that was a million times easier. Getting the tension just right so the camping action would work took some practice.

I didn't make it @Erniepower did, lol, and I'm not sure how long the bury is, I'll measure it tonight, I think it's pretty long, but I'm not really sure whats normal, I was thinking there was a trick to using it that I hadn't figured out, lol.

Did he have a whoopie or a UCR on it? The ones I had had the UCRs. They didn't work great and I would have switched to the lone wolf strap on it too if I used them.

Does anyone know how long of a bury I would need for a 1/4” Amsteel whoopie sling?
It looks like most whoopie slings are smaller diameter, and I can’t find sound numbers for 1/4”.

I tried quite a few times to get a Whoopi’s sling to work and I would get varying results. It was never consistent and took way to long to adjust. Switched to a cam strap. (I think mine are from Lone Wolf) and they work perfectly. Makes set up so much easier and less frustrating.

Back