• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for you ozone guys

Davis21

Not really interested in the ozone machine in filed, but using it as a way to launder my clothes after each hunt. What are y’all a system to removes clothes, ozone wash and store and be ozone washed for next hunt. The way I understand is that for ozone to work it has to touch every part of clothes. So this seems like the tubs and bags don’t work, since the clothes are wadded up. Maybe I’m wrong. I would like to have an airtight closet I could dedicate to ozone closet but don’t have the space right now. Son for those of you utilizing ozone to wash clothes, give me some tips if ya got em

I have a garment rack with cover that I hang my hunting clothes in. I just hang my machine from the rack and let it run. I think it works pretty well. Plus it those racks with the cover only cost $30-40.

The bag and tote work just fine. Clothes are breathable so the ozone will go through the clothes.
So ozone will work if it doesn’t come in direct contact with the clothes? ( being wadded up makes some areas not come in contact )

Does that work as well you think as an ozone generator?
It has for me. I have one of the bigger portable units, it’s meh. We had the fire pit going the other night and of course my clothes got super smoky. I sprayed my hat, not saturated just a mist and let it sit to dry. smoke odor was gone. Shot a ground hog today and arrow was coated in nasty goop. Spritz the arrow with the nfuse and brushed the arrow with a brush. Spritz again and let it dry. Smells like nothing. I’m a believer

The larger ozone generators $50-80 on Amazon - I have one - put out a ton of ozone, I bet you could run one for 2 minutes into a garment closet and it would be more than enough. If you inject into a tote maybe hold your breath open and stir the clothes once, but it’s a gas it’s gonna get everywhere in there. Watch heavy treatment on elastics, they don’t like it.

I work with a lot of landlords and I had one tell me the other day that they had a company come in and treat an apartment with ozone 2 days earlier. Believe me when I tell you I could easily still smell the cat urine the minute I walked through the door, Not much faith in ozone for me.

I work with a lot of landlords and I had one tell me the other day that they had a company come in and treat an apartment with ozone 2 days earlier. Believe me when I tell you I could easily still smell the cat urine the minute I walked through the door, Not much faith in ozone for me.

That's a pretty small sample size to dismiss something. Sounds like that landlord was taken by a company doing shoddy work.

I've used O3 on gear for about a dozen years or so and I am convinced that it does have some benefits. I get away with things that I never could have before I started using it. Mostly a reduction in ground scent on my stand access trails. Deer just don't bust my trail anymore.

But I don't believe O3 is all that useful for laundered clothes. If clothes come out of a clean washing machine, and stored properly, they should not contain any alarming odors.

O3 is best for stuff we don't launder like boots (inside and out), vehicles, etc. I do my best to wear fresh clothes on every hunt. If I wear it, I wash it. Our laundry room has no perfume odor because we dont use that perfumed crap. After washing, I hang the clothes, turn on the O3 to minimize indoor "human" odor, and run a fan to speed up drying and help circulate the O3. If I'm away from home and have no access to a clean washing machine, then I do depend more on O3. I prefer to use contractor garbage bags, and during the treatment, I give the bag a few good shakes to distribute the O3.
I don't store anything rubber or elastic long term in an O3 environment. I have not had any obvious issues with the O3 degrading my stuff. If you need to treat clothing, IMO its best to treat just what you need for the day. Treat it, wear it, then it goes into the laundry.

That's a pretty small sample size to dismiss something. Sounds like that landlord was taken by a company doing shoddy work.
Yeah. And O3 generators do have a lifespan. Eventually they make less and less ozone. And they do need rested in between uses. Its possible that the company's generator was not producing much O3.
And ozone cant work if it does not contact the odor source. If there is cat pee down deep in the carpet, the padding, and into the subfloor, I doubt an O3 treatment will completely destroy the odor.
And things that continue to off gas, like some rubber products, plastic tubs, etc dont seem like O3 does much for that. The source continues to produce odor. O3 is not an odor preventative, its a treatment for existing odor.

I've used O3 on gear for about a dozen years or so and I am convinced that it does have some benefits. I get away with things that I never could have before I started using it. Mostly a reduction in ground scent on my stand access trails. Deer just don't bust my trail anymore.

But I don't believe O3 is all that useful for laundered clothes. If clothes come out of a clean washing machine, and stored properly, they should not contain any alarming odors.

O3 is best for stuff we don't launder like boots (inside and out), vehicles, etc. I do my best to wear fresh clothes on every hunt. If I wear it, I wash it. Our laundry room has no perfume odor because we dont use that perfumed crap. After washing, I hang the clothes, turn on the O3 to minimize indoor "human" odor, and run a fan to speed up drying and help circulate the O3. If I'm away from home and have no access to a clean washing machine, then I do depend more on O3. I prefer to use contractor garbage bags, and during the treatment, I give the bag a few good shakes to distribute the O3.
I don't store anything rubber or elastic long term in an O3 environment. I have not had any obvious issues with the O3 degrading my stuff. If you need to treat clothing, IMO its best to treat just what you need for the day. Treat it, wear it, then it goes into the laundry.

I agree with you. But the reason looking at O3 treatment is to get away from daily washings for several reasons. Time and wear and tear mostly

I agree with you. But the reason looking at O3 treatment is to get away from daily washings for several reasons. Time and wear and tear mostly
Yeah, I hear you.
I dont need to launder daily, I get 3 or 4 hunts with fresh clothes, then I do a large load.
But most definitely, in between washings, O3 is great for freshening up clothes that have been worn.
In those cases, I stick minimal clothing into a garbage bag, stick the O3 hose into the bag and run it for 15 minutes or so. About every 5 minutes I will shake the bag, fluff the clothes to distribute the O3. Those are the clothes I will wear that day.

Back