• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question on Climbing with Bolts

redhawk

For all those climbing with bolts, are you seeing any trouble with certain types of trees, like pines or other soft wood?? Are you drilling normally or having to get an angle to maintain stability? TIA

I've never ran into a tree that I change the technique on. Some trees with a lot of limbs sometimes you can get by with only a few bolts and use the limbs if they are big enough.

I've never ran into a tree that I change the technique on. Some trees with a lot of limbs sometimes you can get by with only a few bolts and use the limbs if they are big enough.

Thanks for your help, I was wondering if pines have a tendency to be different than the hardwood trees, that is the basic trees around where I hunt.

Other then sap is there anything you can think of that would be a negative experience on pines? Also was looking I to a tree squeeze while climbing to ensure maximum safety, do you use this method or ever just tethered into the tree you are climbing?

I'd be more worried about getting pine sap on your ropes and other gear than the bolts. I've never had an issue and would recommend drilling as any other type of tree.

I drill on a little bit of an angle in pines but i am about 285 Dont over do it It hurts my feet and it will give you a bit of a tendency to tip load your bolts.
That is my concern, as i am 325 hoping to get under 275 come season.

Drill them at an angle and you will be fine. I just hate all the dang sap from the pines so I avoid them if at all posssible.

Drill them at an angle and you will be fine. I just hate all the dang sap from the pines so I avoid them if at all posssible.
I will but if that's all I got I want to be sure there would be no problems. What would you use to get sap off?

I soaked mine in dawn dish washing liquid, gave them a little scrubbing and then laid them out to dry. It didnt completely get all the residue off but did pretty good. Just take a walmart bag or something with you for when you pull your bolts out. It will make a mess in your pack if you dont.

I always drill at a mild angle but primarily because that way, if my foot is going to slip it will do so towards the tree.

I refuse to drill pine, nut it is because of the sticky mess the sap leaves everything. Literally stayed in my sitdrag for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back