• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question on using spikes or rerod as steps

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
I had this question on a private message and thought I would share the info -

I've been a saddle hunter since 09, have all your dvds and books. Earlier this year you mentioned using pole barn spikes on private land to pre-set trees. Can you provide me with a link and or a description? Are these something I can buy at Home Depot or Lowes?

Here was my answer for anyone interested

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

What I use might be at Lowes or Home Depot in small amounts of maybe 10 in a pack but I order them by the 50 pound boxes at any local Do-it-Best, Ace or independent hardware store. Big box stores won't get them in 50 pound boxes. In the past 40 years I've probably went through 10 boxes of spikes and there are several hundred per box and the standard spikes cost about $120 per box.

I use 10 inch long spikes (can buy in different lengths) and they are 3/8 diameter and look like an oversized 16 penny nail. They also offer twisted spikes which are galvanized coated for about $180 per box. While the standard spikes will become rust covered within a short period of time and be more difficult for other hunters to see from a distance, the twisted spikes are stronger and will never rust.

If you're heavy (over 175 pounds) you can also use 1/2 inch rebar and cut it into 10 inch lengths or order 10 inch long 1/2 inch lag bolts by the box.

You'll need a cordless drill with an extra battery for pre drilling the holes and then a hammer to tap the spikes or sections of rebar into the holes. Make sure they are buried into the meat of the tree at least 3 inches. You'll also want an Irwin brand wood bit with the little self tapping screw on the end and they are about $8 each. Once started these drill by themselves without any assistance.

Once in a while you'll get spikes that are slightly smaller diameter than the hole and if that's the case make sure the hole is drilled only 2 inches deep so that you'll have to pound the spike in at least the last inch. You do not want them loose in the holes as your body weight will be slightly pulling away from the tree when ascending and descending it and they can slip out. Trying to remember to only pull straight down on loose steps isn't cool because when climbing or descending 100 times a year, it will only take one slip of the memory to be a serious problem.

The awesome thing about spikes is they are long and depending on the tree, they can grow for up to 6 to 8 years before there isn't enough spike sticking out to use as a step. Obviously the downside is they are permanent.

I find these two climbing methods all over the public land in TN. I have climbed and used them. They seem to work really well. It seems they get tighter and tighter as the tree grows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt using spikes or rebar will work but the fact that they are permanent is a big downside for me. I feel that as bowhunters hunting on other peoples land, we need to be stewards of the property and leaving spikes to be consumed in trees isn't good stewardship. I don't think any of us would ever leave trash on property we hunt on. The land owner would be upset if we did. Anything we carry onto a property we should carry out with us. Many land owners will choose to sell timber from time to time either by select cut or clear cutting. If a Forester sees spikes in any trees, he will likely decline buying any timber or will steeply discount the offer for fear of damaging equipment or endangering workers due to the booby traps hidden in the trees. This reason is why that practice has been outlawed on State ground.

Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox now. I have the utmost respect for John but as a land owner I know I would be extremely upset if I found a hunter I gave permission to damaged trees on my property with spikes of any kind if left in my trees.

Last edited:
No doubt using spikes or rebar will work but the fact that they are permanent is a big downside for me. I feel that as bowhunters hunting on other peoples land, we need to be stewards of the property and leaving spikes to be consumed in trees isn't good stewardship. I don't think any of us would ever leave trash on property we hunt on. The land owner would be upset if we did.

Ricky please don't get off your soapbox as you're 100% correct! I definitely make sure the property owners are fine with it and would never consider doing it without their permission. Typically they don't want me to put steps in oaks, maples and other profitable trees and very frequently over the years they don't want them in any of their trees. Aside from public, I have permission on 4 properties right now in Michigan and 1 of the owners doesn't care what type of tree I put steps in, 1 only lets me do it on trees of no value and the other 2 don't allow them at all. Mostly I use screw ins and once in a blue moon will use sticks even though I hate them because they are cumbersome to tote around.

Back