• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Questions about buying a saddle

Ronnin1010

I’m sold on buying my first hunting saddle, I haven’t decided if I want to buy a Kestrel or a Mantis. My question is when I do buy what size do I need? I hunt in northern Wisconsin so I need to take into consideration cold weather gear that I will be wearing along with having a size 34 waist. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant speak for the Mantis but, I did hunt from a Kestrel last year. I am 6', 190 lbs, wear a size 34 pant. I am 34" around my hips but, I am about 38" around my belly. The Size 1 Kestrel was okay but, I wish I had a size 2. I believe that most people that were borderline that tried both a size 1 and size 2 preferred the size 2.

If your a 34" waist without the "spare tire" like me you would probably be okay in a size 1.

Go one size up if you wear extra clothing. I have a kestrel size 2. Mine is a little loose so I have suspenders on it. They are comfortable.

I’m sold on buying my first hunting saddle, I haven’t decided if I want to buy a Kestrel or a Mantis. My question is when I do buy what size do I need? I hunt in northern Wisconsin so I need to take into consideration cold weather gear that I will be wearing along with having a size 34 waist. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tethrd has a sizing chart on their website, maybe it'll help.

6' 195#s, 34 waist, meaty rear. I have a size 2 Kestral. Feels a bit big with nothing but jeans on under it, but definitely manageable. I think a size 1 would be too small for any layering under it. Single digits very common for my hunting, so needed some space to work with.

I think you’ll be good with large in a mantis. I typically wear 33 pants and the large has been comfortable for me. From what I’ve seen the large mantis and size 1 kestrel are about same dimensions.

I have a #2 Kestrel coming this Friday. I'm a 34 waist. I ordered the #2 because most of my season is ccccold!

Back