• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Questions on Rappel

Hogwild2004

Want to pose a question here. One stick is a mild PITA but I make it work with a two-step aider. Love the rappel (3 wraps around tree). I’ve only climbed trees with zero branches/splits... Two questions: 1) How many wraps around tree? 2) What is your success with rappel rope retreival with branches? Seems to me it would get caught up in branches as its unwinding from the tree.

I just girth hitch it. I’m not sure how you would ever get a rappel rope down if you wrapped it 3 times

Simple girth hitch around the tree, carabiner and paracord hooked to the loop of the girth hitch so you can pull your rope down from a straight tree, crooked tree, 100 branch tree, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Ok...I find using multiple steps a PITA...and one sticking easy peasy. Does it take work...yes. However with one sticking I only have one stick to worry about and use my tether to "climb." As far as my rappel rope...I have (don't use it anymore) the sterling HTP 9mm. I now have the Sterling Oplux in 8mm. I use my tether to climb said tree and use my oplux to go around branches or up a split. I have the Petzl triangle that is on my loop. I then swing it around the tree and place the tag end in the triangle and climb up. Once at hunting height I then take my oplux and get it as high as I can and hitch it to my triangle which is also connected to my 550 cord. Bring my friction hitch to the rope, connect it and make sure that the rope is tight to the tree and disconnect my short tether. At the end of the hunt, I rappel down and pull on my 550 cord and the triangle falls down the tree with my rope.

Back