• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick question about the hawk helium stick

newbiebowhunter

Hi all,
I couldn't find an answer on here anywhere, but is it possible to saddle hunt with a hawk helium stick and no platform? Climb up one stick method and just use the top of the stick as your platform? Was thinking of grabbing one of these two, probably the 20" -

Thanks for any help or advice.

Hi. Also a rookie to saddle hunting. However the first time I tried it I just stood on a step. Its hard on the feet and didn’t give me much leverage to move to the side of the tree. It takes away some key options in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, Parker McDonald, who operates the Southern Ground hunting podcast, used heliums for his first season saddle hunting, no platform.

You can absolutely do it. You'll want some stiff boot soles or you'll be fidgeting to readjust a lot..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have the Hawk Helium 20" for single stick climbing. I have only used it in the backyard. I have worn Rocky Snake boots and mucking books and with both you would not want to stand on those steps for a long period. Not enough surface area to distribute your weight. My 2 cents.

Back