• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick Question

Matt G.

Hey guys......

I've been having trouble getting my tether high enough. I'm setting it as high as I can reasonably reach. I feel like when I'm leaning (my preferred method one season in), that my angle from the tree is too great. This puts too much stress on my quads, and exposes me more than I'd like. When I take a rest and sit, I feel like my butt is way too far down. I can't help but think the rope that connects my carabiner to my tether is too long. Would this make sense?

Next question.....should I retie it, is that just a figure 8 on a bight?

Makes me a little nervous re-tying that knot, but, I have a feeling it's an adjustment that needs to be made.

Getting gear ready for a weekend hunt........so any thoughts?

Sorry for the link as opposed to an embedded picture. The resolution of pics from my phone are too high to upload.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An-EfH84RLTRgYg_Jp3ZB_M9BFpUqA

I like a tie in right at eye level when I'm standing on my platform. Are you using a Kestrel or Kite with the supplied bridge length? A lot of folks find that bridge too long. If it is an Aero Hunter saddle I believe they do use a figure 8 on a bight.

It's a Kestrel. I spliced a fixed Amsteel bridge that's about 24". Since I can't adjust that, it seems like the only thing that I can adjust is the tail end of the Prussik that I showed the picture of.

Its about 11" or so, and I think that cutting that in half would significantly reduce leg fatigue, and increase comfort for me.

I would highly recommend lowering your tether to around eye level. I would also shorten the prussic. This will allow you to keep your adjustments in the tether. With a high tether it will tend to pull up on the leg portion of the saddle. Play with it a bit you'll find that "a ha" moment.

I used to attach my Kestrel tether around eye level and it was okay but then I tried the ultra low attachment suggested by @DaveT1963 and I really like it. I had to substantially shorten the bridge but with an Amsteel bridge, it wasn't a problem doing so. I made a whoopie bury on the bridge so I could adjust it until I figured out what length would work best. I'm also using a Ropeman 1 on my tether which eliminated the prussic. I think that makes a little more room between the bridge and the tether girth. I seldom use a ROS so traveling around the tree isn't something I need to do. I'm on a Predator with a step on each side and the low tether and short bridge still allows me to shoot almost 360, depending on the size of the tree.

Something else that I do that's made a big difference in comfort was to girth the bridge around the saddle loops. What that does is allows the bridge to lock onto the saddle loops exactly where I place them, and they stay there...the bridge doesn't slip one direction or the other on the loops. I place where I want and it locks in place until I decide to readjust it. Just a small change, even an inch or so, on where the bridge grips and pulls on the loops changes how the saddle feels. A low grip cups the leg straps more. A high grip seems to relieve hip pinch a little more. But everybody has a different shape, so what feels good for me may not be the right way for you. But I think you will find that adjusting where the bridge grips the saddle loops will definitely change how the saddle feels. On an all day sit, I may change that a couple times, so having it adjustable is important to me. I wouldn't want it permanently pulling in any one spot.

Last edited:
Something else that I do that's made a big difference in comfort was to girth the bridge around the saddle loops. What that does is allows the bridge to lock onto the saddle loops exactly where I place them, and they stay there...the bridge doesn't slip one direction or the other on the loops. I place where I want and it locks in place until I decide to readjust it. Just a small change, even an inch or so, on where the bridge grips and pulls on the loops changes how the saddle feels. A low grip cups the leg straps more. A high grip seems to relieve hip pinch a little more.

This is good stuff and I haven't come across this suggestion elsewhere. I've been wishing I could lock my bridge in place on the loops!

This is good stuff and I haven't come across this suggestion elsewhere. I've been wishing I could lock my bridge in place on the loops!

The downside, if you can call it that, is the bridge is now permanent on the saddle. If you don't like having to step through the bridge or slip over your head to put it on, then you probably like your bridge to be connected by a carabiner on one side. IMO, it's a small trade-off. The improvement in "all-day" comfort by having my bridge gripped onto the loops, far outweighs the convenience of having a carabiner on it for that brief few seconds that I'm putting it on or removing it.

I took Toms suggestion and girth hitched my 26” bridge. It makes a big difference.
5a0a4dae8e10c27d34eb059bb924b6bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took Toms suggestion and girth hitched my 26” bridge. It makes a big difference.
5a0a4dae8e10c27d34eb059bb924b6bb.jpg

How you do that? I can imagine getting one side girth hitched but how do you get the second end hitched? I thought it was impossible!

I kinda weaved a single end around the saddle loop then buried it inside itself and sewed it the way g2outdoors
does (the sewing) in his video. I hope this makes sense?

Last edited:
Aha! So you did the slicing after you essentially hitched it? And then lock stitched it?

I used it Saturday. Worked great. Tom is right, it locks where you put it and where you put it changes the feel of the saddle.

I used it Saturday. Worked great. Tom is right, it locks where you put it and where you put it changes the feel of the saddle.

Hmmmmm, I’m going to have to give this a test run. It’s becoming more and more obvious that I’m going to have to take up squirrel hunting from the saddle to work out all the things I want to try.

This thread has me critiquing my girth hitch a little bit. So I got my saddle out and while I'm watching the very entertaining Leafs vs Bruins game I taped.

I've tugged at the girth, up, down, back and forth and I can get it to slide...good but is it the best way? Yes, a girth is better IMO, than just a loop, but I may have found an even better way.

Its a bit of experimental so take this for what its worth.
This is another... "hard to explain in words, but easy to do" technique.

I'm right handed, so I considered about how I thought the whoopie would work best during rotation. The answer to that will decide on which side gets the locked brummel.

I decided to start on my left saddle loop. Not positive its the better side at this point, but I had to pick a side and go with it.

I tied an overhand knot with the Amsteel around the saddle loop, AND THEN DID THE LOCKED BRUMMEL. As I made the brummel, I kept the overhand knot as tight around the saddle loop as I could. I want that wrap around the bridge loop to remain as tight as possible. The phase of the brummel construction where the opposite tag end gets returned really helps keep the over hand knot wrap tight. Yes, hard to explain.

So, that brummel loop with the overhand wrap is now created and seems the stay tighter on the saddle loop than doing just a girth does.

Now, for the other saddle loop on my right side, instead of just an overhand knot, I did a clove hitch (not sure if an overhand will do as well...just thought a clove may grip better), then ran the tag end all the way over to within 4 inches of the tag end of the 1st bury and made the whoopie.
There are 2 mind sets on where to put the bury for the whoopie. I like to take it all the way over to the other bury...essentually having a double bridge. I have a better range of adjustment with where I place my bury. Some guy form the whoopie right there by the saddle loop. You can do that, but adjustment will be less versatile.

Man, this probably sounds really confusing...sorry.

Basically, my knot-wraps on each bridge loop stay tighter and slip even less than the girth. With the knot-wrap loops, if I pull on the bridge to simulate the tether pulling on the bridge, the bridge loops will not move on the saddle loops...at all. I can push on the knot wrap and adjust their position, but its something that I actively need to do...it isn't sliding on its own and I like that.

There are a few things that I'm sure about this and a few things I need to try for a while.

Things I know...
> Tight bridge loops on the saddle loops is better for fine tuning comfort than loose bridge loops.
> Girth hitches stay tighter than basic loops, but knot-wraps stay tighter than girth hitches.
> This style of attachment to the saddle loops give a tiny bit more available travel across the bridge for the tether...ie, I can rotate slightly farther.
> I love how simple whoopies are to make and how versatile they are.

Things I don't yet know...
> Does the clove-hitch wrap work any better than the simple over-hand wrap?
> Do I want to stay with the whoopie or play with its length and then settle on a fixed length and just do a lock stitch?
> If I do keep the whoopie, is there a better side to form the whoopie? ie. Would it be better, as a right hand shot, to have the whoopie tag on my right rather than on my left? Will the tag end ever interfere with my string if I leave it on the left?

Here are a few pics. Might make it easier to visualize.
5905630f4d6103b42844ac5e64312f43.jpg

Clove hitch side. Amsteel still slides through the zip tie for adjustment. The zip just keeps the rig a little more neat.
55717ef4c158eb2077c1d693249e49dc.jpg

The locked Brummell with over-hand wrap. And the exit of the tag end of the whoopie.
The position around the rope where the tag exits is important...it's oriented so the carabiner always rides on the opposite side of the exit. The carabiner doesn't "know" there is even a whoopie. The carabiner always applies it's pressure 180 degrees opposite if the whoopie exit.
95ec31547e18989a25f1fef60a4faf31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just a brainstorm here so forgive the hand sketch done on my phone (sb Loop not Loo), but instead of what you are doing, the saddle makers could add a piece of molded plastic on each loop similar to the plastic used to guide the leg strap hookups on front of my Mammut Ophir rch at the belay loop. Sketch is just to show the concept. This would allow slots for various positions like you are trying to achieve and keep them locked in place until you want to move them. This could even be an optional part that clips around the loops and removable if you don't want to use it. Fits the Tethrd modularconcept too! ???
9ef3b857adcd633070314db74c907ced.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back