• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick way to secure the end of your rope MOD

Mjdohring

Nov 8, 2018
Greendale, WI
Great idea Mark!! So simple and easy. It's similar to what Carl does with his Versa Strap. Well done...;)
U are correct, I put that in the description of the video.. when I got his versa strap that was the first thing I notice and said I need one of those on my ropes...LOL... I'm waiting to see if Tethrd will start selling his straps in the future, since he has joined the team. If not I did buy a sewing machine to have fun with and that might be one of the first things I make. Have an awesome night.

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Ive been doing something very similar for a while now.
But instead of a knot, I use a very small zip tie. There are 2 ways to use a zip tie on the end of shock cord.
1) Zip it as tight as you can get it and it's rock solid.
Or...
2) Zip it semi snug and it becomes the best cord lock, which makes it adjustable. Tug on one tag end and the loop adjusts easily and when you release the tag, it locks in place.
The simple secret is when you pull the shock cord and it stretches, the diameter of the cord is reduced and it slides thru the zip tie. As soon as you let go of the cord it expands to its full diameter which causes the zip tie to lock tight.
The trick when tightening the zip is to zip it a couple clicks at a time and then test how it slides before clipping the tag end of the tie. You can leave the tie tag unclipped in case you ever want to totally lock it tight. But at that point its no longer adjustable.
A shock cord loop on practically any rope or strap is quite handy. I love it on the end of my Predator strap. Its great for Predator transport, but it also helps with getting the strap loop on or off the button.
Zip ties make amazing cord locks for shock cord.

Reactions: Mjdohring

Mjdohring

Nov 8, 2018
Greendale, WI
Ive been doing something very similar for a while now.
But instead of a knot, I use a very small zip tie. There are 2 ways to use a zip tie on the end of shock cord.
1) Zip it as tight as you can get it and it's rock solid.
Or...
2) Zip it semi snug and it becomes the best cord lock, which makes it adjustable. Tug on one tag end and the loop adjusts easily and when you release the tag, it locks in place.
The simple secret is when you pull the shock cord and it stretches, the diameter of the cord is reduced and it slides thru the zip tie. As soon as you let go of the cord it expands to its full diameter which causes the zip tie to lock tight.
The trick when tightening the zip is to zip it a couple clicks at a time and then test how it slides before clipping the tag end of the tie. You can leave the tie tag unclipped in case you ever want to totally lock it tight. But at that point its no longer adjustable.
A shock cord loop on practically any rope or strap is quite handy. I love it on the end of my Predator strap. Its great for Predator transport, but it also helps with getting the strap loop on or off the button.
Zip ties make amazing cord locks for shock cord.

That sounds like an awesome way to do it also... thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Allegheny Tom