• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quiet rain gear?

I run the old BDU colored military Gortex. I've got some I was issued but I'm SURE you could find them in that camo pattern pretty readily. The gortex is a softer material and won't make you sweat quite so much. And it seems as if the older kind is quieter than the new multicam stuff to me.

Supposedly Rivers West, but I haven’t had it out in the rain yet.

I have Rivers West Ambush jacket and bibs. It is waterproof, quiet and extremely warm (no way you can walk in with it on). Later this year, I'll buy the RW Outlaw jacket and pants set for sitting still when not freezing. Rivers West claims that their membrane breathes, but many say that it does not enough to count. The Rivers West Pioneer jacket and pants are light and packable. However, the jacket does not have pit zips and the pants do not have boot zippers. Without boot zippers, I have no idea how you could easily put them on in a tree. I can do without pit zips, but no boot zippers on rain pants is a deal breaker for me.

The closest thing to breathable and waterproof and quiet (fleece outer) I've owned is a Sitka Downpour jacket. However, I can't recommend it unless you want to fix the jacket (water wicks into the jacket due to poor design and the bottom channel is not sewn and is prone to failure).

Last edited:
Back