• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quieting WE steps

Teamclark

I have seen some guys fill their steps with spray foam. My question is does that foam really make a difference (especially if I am already wrapping them with vet tape)? Just curious on what everyone’s experience is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some great stuff on my shelf right now. I'd be willing to give it a shot (see what I did there) on one of mine. Currently fly out of town so well see what the verdict is before I get back.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I just wrapped mine in vet tape. Been thinking of filling with foam only to prevent them from filling up with bark as they seem to gather more and more each time I use them. Idk maybe after enough uses I won’t need the foam as they will be filled with bark...

Somebody had posted something in the past about the foam just adding weight and not doing much for noise. I used a combo of stealth strips and vet tape. I think I'm pretty quiet with them.

Stack em together and find the points of contacts, then see how it is that you take them out and pack them back in while climbing. Tape any areas that contact metal to metal.

Foam does not make a lot of difference, it takes a little of the tang out of them when bumped together. The tape will make a huge difference tho.

I did tape mine in the contact points, but they only contact there when they are stacked. Dropping them in the bag or pulling them out, no telling what parts will touch. You really have to finesse them in/out to not get some sort of metal on metal. I really need to have someone stand a few yards away and have them tell me when they hear something. I feel like my saddle method is like playing the game operation.

I would not spray foam in them. That stuff is still porous and I think it could hold moisture and lead to rust issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not spray foam in them. That stuff is still porous and I think it could hold moisture and lead to rust issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good call, I didn’t even think about the rust factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back