• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quiver Capacity

DaWiz9578

anyone know why quivers hold so many arrows?

has anyone had to get to their 4th arrow either for shot opportunity or malfunction of the first three?

the only time Ive used more than one arrow is target shooting.

just curious if anyone has burned through them all for any reason.

I like to think I practice enough to make that first shot count. But I have seen videos where a follow shot is needed (spine shot) to end the animal’s suffering. I also think of predator/pest control and small game if it turns into a slow sit. With all that said, I usually just stock 3-4 in my quiver.

Well if you’re Randy Newberg and you stumble upon some grouse the elk hunt is over and you will need a quiver full of arrows. In the eastern whitetail woods I don’t see a need for that many. I didn’t witness it but did have a guy tell me that he killed a little buck on his fifth shot. Started shooting over the deers back at about 40 yards and the deer ran closer each shot. I personally start the season with three new broad heads in my quiver. If I use one and it survives it becomes a vermin killer if it breaks I’m down to two arrows and will finish the season with two. If I’m fortunate enough to break two broadheads in a season I buy another pack and start over at three.

I shot a yote two years ago straight through the vitals perfect broadside shot. He didn’t expire after 20 minutes. He laid infront of me so i nocked another and punched him again which pinned him to the ground and he rolled around in circles for 5 minutes. 15 minutes later still breathing I threw a third arrow through his neck and he died within two minutes. It was brutal and never have I seen anything like that but my goal was to end it quickly even they should not suffer. An hour later i shot a doe. So thats at 4 arrows i carry 6 total.

I shot a yote two years ago straight through the vitals perfect broadside shot. He didn’t expire after 20 minutes. He laid infront of me so i nocked another and punched him again which pinned him to the ground and he rolled around in circles for 5 minutes. 15 minutes later still breathing I threw a third arrow through his neck and he died within two minutes. It was brutal and never have I seen anything like that but my goal was to end it quickly even they should not suffer. An hour later i shot a doe. So thats at 4 arrows i carry 6 total.
I used to shoot a pile of critters. It’s amazing how much damage an armadillo can do to a broadhead and arrow. I was also amazed how easy it is to skewer an armadillo at 40 yards and miss a buck at 15. I will still drill a coyote but after doing the math it was costing me like 20 bucks to kill armadillos so I no longer shoot them. That’s one appeal of trying traditional gear again.

I used to shoot a pile of critters. It’s amazing how much damage an armadillo can do to a broadhead and arrow. I was also amazed how easy it is to skewer an armadillo at 40 yards and miss a buck at 15. I will still drill a coyote but after doing the math it was costing me like 20 bucks to kill armadillos so I no longer shoot them. That’s one appeal of trying traditional gear again.

That can get real expensive lol!!

I shoot every diller I see. They're invasive, and I have a personal grudge against them due to the hours of my life I've wasted stalking one in the palmettos, thinking it was a hog.

I have literally bounced arrows off of them. They're like bug-grubbin' tanks!

As far as OP, I use a 3 arrow kwikee. It has 2 arrows in it. I've never wished I had a 3rd.

I shoot every diller I see. They're invasive, and I have a personal grudge against them due to the hours of my life I've wasted stalking one in the palmettos, thinking it was a hog.

I have literally bounced arrows off of them. They're like bug-grubbin' tanks!

As far as OP, I use a 3 arrow kwikee. It has 2 arrows in it. I've never wished I had a 3rd.
I’ve shot a pile of them. I’ve also had stray dogs and coyotes spend way too much time around my stands because of an armadillo I killed a week or two before. I still kill them but don’t waste arrows. They are everywhere and even made the swim across the sound to invade our barrier islands.

I like to think I practice enough to make that first shot count. But I have seen videos where a follow shot is needed (spine shot) to end the animal’s suffering. I also think of predator/pest control and small game if it turns into a slow sit. With all that said, I usually just stock 3-4 in my quiver.
I carry 4 broadhead tipped arrows and 1 judo tip. I've used all 4 broadheads one time. I spine hit a buck and he went down in a thick tangle of brush with his vitals 99% obstructed. I tried 2 shots from the tree and got deflections. I climbed down, walked over to him and still had trouble finding an opening with a proper angle at his vitals. Not exactly a text book kill but it was over quickly.

Depends on where I am....honestly hunting a field at the farm I have mis judged distance on a deer several times in a row and got 4 shots off. Sad, but true. Left to right was on, but elevation not so much. That was in my earlier days of bowhinting...I generally dont let that happen any more...well, except turkeys....

I carry 5. There are points in the fall Turkey is still in season during bow season...and that's a good way to potentially lose a couple arrows. Now I also carry a judo point along with my BHs all the time.

I carry 4 broadhead tipped arrows and 1 judo tip. I've used all 4 broadheads one time. I spine hit a buck and he went down in a thick tangle of brush with his vitals 99% obstructed. I tried 2 shots from the tree and got deflections. I climbed down, walked over to him and still had trouble finding an opening with a proper angle at his vitals. Not exactly a text book kill but it was over quickly.
I've had a very similar experience. There's nothing that makes you feel more helpless having a deer down and no extra arrow to finish it off.

I've had a very similar experience. There's nothing that makes you feel more helpless having a deer down and no extra arrow to finish it off.
I never ran out of arrows. When I had just one broadhead tipped arrow left that day, I made sure it counted. Thats why I climbed down for a different angle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've shot at a deer 4 times once, first deer I ever shot at. I missed over, under, right and left at 20 yards. I was a mess. Was out of arrows at that point and the spike buck just snorted at me and walked off. Buck fever is a hell of a thing. Made me a hunter for life though.

I have also gone through several arrows on grouse multiple times. If I didn't have extra with me I wouldn't shoot at them, and I like shooting and eating grouse. I carry what fits in the quiver, was 6, now 5 with the new bow. I'm switching to $25 per broadheads this year, so one or 2 will be judo points, I don't like grouse enough to wreck a $25 broadhead on.

3 arrows or 3 shells either way if I miss three times... in tip my cap and say “you win this time”

general rule on elk is you shoot it till it falls down. I've used more than 3 shells on elk several times. Probably wasn't necessary, but we will never know.

3. I’m out there for deer. Not squirrels,rabbits,coyotes, turkeys etc. can’t tell you how many times in my early hunting career, screwing around with the above mentioned cost me an opportunity at my intended quarry. No more.

Honestly at this point I'm just out there to have a nice day in the mountains. If hunting grouse for 30 minutes reduces my chances a little I'm fine with that.

There are several very good reasons to make space in your quiver for one more arrow...a judo tipped arrow.

Reasons I carry one...
I like to use it as a rake for quieting my final approach to my tree. Raking away some of the crunchy leaves and twigs allows a less threatening sound to nearby game. Make an occasional turkey yelp when you rake. Yes you still make noise, but it isn't the typical sound of a sneaking human. Its amazing how much less " heavy" you sound when you thin-out the top layer of dry leaves. You end up sounding more like a squirrel than a 200 pound, 2 footed predator.

There are times that there is just nowhere to place your foot without stepping into a tangle of sticks. We all know that snapping twigs while trying to sneak is a no no. Pull out your judo and quietly rake a spot to step. And each time I improve my approach, everytime after that gets quieter and faster.
Barry Wensel advocates clearing foot placement for pre prepping stands. I've done that, but one wind storm can undo most of that work. A judo will help you keep foot spots cleaner.
Some guys use a stick for the same purpose, but what do you do with the stick when you get to the tree? I don't want to leave it down on the ground for a possible odor bust. My judo arrow goes back in my quiver. I always have it. No need to look for a stick.

Judo are nice for pushing obstructions aside. I really try to not touch or brush against stuff near my stand. It leaves odor.

Sometimes I like to stump shoot a few arrows well before my final approach. I occasionally take a few 1 yard shots in the truck headlights before I head to the stand. Judos are the best for roam shooting.

Sometimes before I climb down, I will shoot an arrow at a leaf or whatever. I usually shoot towards my exit trail since I have to walk in that direction anyway.

For you guys that shoot sights...
If you've ever bumped them or had a reason to question if the pin has moved, a judo can be shot to double check if the pin is still on target. No way I want to use an expensive broadhead for a test shot.

I agree that I'm out there to shoot deer, not squirrels or other small game. Judos are great small game heads but I very seldom screw around risking disturbance taking shots at non deer animals around my tree. Be very selective about how/when you use a judo.

I shoot a very (physically) light recurve. I like to have a little extra weight on my bow. A full quiver makes the bow feel a little more stable to me.

So, how many arrows should a guy carry? "X" plus one and the one should be a judo.

@Allegheny Tom if I try traditional archery again there will definitely be a judo in my quiver. Maybe a couple. The reason I have never given traditional archery a fair shake is my first arrow of the day almost always stunk. I’m probably going to try a fixed crawl and just shoot whatever point on distance I can get it to work out on. Speaking of stump shooting a blunt tipped flu-flu is about as much fun as a couple people can have with a bow challenging each other as they walk through the woods.

Back