• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.

Rabbit Hunters

iamcorey

Any rabbit hunters out there? Got a beagle I’m about to put in a starter pen. This will be my first. Wondering if anyone has any advice for a new guy? Mainly interested in how to keep her from running off on trash and not losing her the first outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamcorey

Dont have a beagle anymore..its been awhile but we used remote collars and had a bell on her collar
Remote shockers or gps? I’ve got a shock collar. Been considering a gps but they are expensive.

dalton916

SH Member
1 by itself is tough. Starting pen is good for just that, starting a pup on rabbits, but after that you need to get the pup with dogs that know what they’re doing.

As for running off game, the shock collar is your friend. The dog is going to run a deer eventually, just accept it. When they do you’ll want the collar turned on and the transmitter in your hand.....that’s how you break them from running deer.

While you’re at it with the dog in the starting pen go ahead and put the collar on it now. Get the dog used to having the collar on every time it hits the ground to hunt. Also, use this time to train the dog to come to you using the tone feature on the collar. Call the dog and hit the tone button. If the dog is on the ground have the collar on it and use the tone every time you call the dog, period. Eventually you’ll get the pup coming to when simply by hitting the tone button and calling for it. You’ll thank me when you need to call the dog in at the end of a hunt.

Kenbama

SH Member
Beagles were my passion for many years. First and foremost is the pedigree of hound. Does the beagle come from a lineage that is not prone to run off game. Second use caution to isolate from off game until the hound knows it's quarry. Third, do not pack up with any dog that runs trash. Forth buy a good pair of running shoes. You will need the shoes to head them off at the pass.

iamcorey

Beagles were my passion for many years. First and foremost is the pedigree of hound. Does the beagle come from a lineage that is not prone to run off game. Second use caution to isolate from off game until the hound knows it's quarry. Third, do no pack up with any dog that runs trash. Forth buy a good pair of running shoes. You will need them to head them off at the pass.
No idea about lineage. Full blooded but inherited from someone that had her as a house dog. I’ve worked with hounds before and she has a pretty high drive and seems to learn quick.

I’m taking her to someone with a pen this week. He works beagles and I’m going to let him assess her and lmk if it’s worth pursuing. At the least she will get a 2 week stay at rabbit camp.

Jtoddg

Been raising and hunting Beagles for rabbit for years. A lot of good tips above. My tips for a lot of new comers is 1-be patient let the dog learn to figure out the track. 2- Minimize your commands, I use Come, No, and tally ho(which means I saw a rabbit and come and track), lastly kennel. 3- I make sure I don't track deer and check out all the deer sign when he is present - don't want the dog thinking we are tracking deer.

LThomas89

SH Member
I currently have three hunting beagles. If I have any advice for you save your money and by gps collars and shock system worth every penny.

dalton916

SH Member
I ran trash breakers for years then switched to the Garmin Alpha. Not cheap, but dang they’re nice.

Flint

SH Member
These are all good points. The only thing I can add is if you wear a baseball cap or any hat in general and notice your pup sniffing around any signs of deer they really don't like to by wacked with the hat. It doesn't have to be hard. Bells are awesome when you are running in the wild to keep coyotes away from your dogs.

iamcorey

Took her to the starting pen yesterday. It was pretty amazing how fast she took to it being it was her first exposure to a rabbit.

Trying to prepare for when she comes home. I’d like to take her out and see if she’ll jump a rabbit on her own. My only hesitation is losing her. Is there anything in terms of keeping track of her that doesn’t require $500 like a gps system?
Bells? Beepers? Radio collars?