• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rain gear recommendation?

Patriot

Anybody have recommendations for AFFORDABLE, quiet, hunting jacket and pants?

I second the frogg toggs. They are a little noisy but I don't worry as much about noise when its raining, I feel like the rain itself is louder than me.

I have the Cabela's silent suede and like it pretty well. I've had it for a pretty good while now and it has held up good. Not sure on your budget, but it is higher than frogg toggs.

I recommend rivers west! Quiet and comes with a 10 year guarantee! I had the cabelas dry plus and wore it a lot but not in the rain that much, after 4 or 5 years it was done. I got to thinking how many times did I really wear it in the rain? Not that often.

I use Cabela’s space rain. Definitely not the best rain gear on the market but is decent for the size and price.

X2 for rivers west.
I have a frontier set and a pioneer set.
One packable, and one I wear if I’m intending to wear it all day.
Both are quiet compared to most other rain gear out there, they are fleece... kinda.

X2 for rivers west.
I have a frontier set and a pioneer set.
One packable, and one I wear if I’m intending to wear it all day.
Both are quiet compared to most other rain gear out there, they are fleece... kinda.
How do you like the pioneer set? Do you wear it over you insulated hunting clothes?

The pioneer is ok. I was initially disappointed in it because it is cheaper made than my old jacket, and definitely not fleece. It has a fleecy feel to the exterior, and is actually quieter than TONS of other rain gear out there. I wore them on an all day “in the rain” sit on day 1 of an out of state trip last year. Other than feeling like I was wearing M.C. Hammer pants, they did great. So, this year, I bought pants to match my old jacket, and a jacket to go with the pioneer pants. I’ll carry the pioneer set if rain is in the forecast. If it’s going to be an all day rain, I’ll wear the frontier set.
Walking in them isn’t fun, but better than being wet.
I have and will again wear them over another layer in the rain.

The pioneer is ok. I was initially disappointed in it because it is cheaper made than my old jacket, and definitely not fleece. It has a fleecy feel to the exterior, and is actually quieter than TONS of other rain gear out there. I wore them on an all day “in the rain” sit on day 1 of an out of state trip last year. Other than feeling like I was wearing M.C. Hammer pants, they did great. So, this year, I bought pants to match my old jacket, and a jacket to go with the pioneer pants. I’ll carry the pioneer set if rain is in the forecast. If it’s going to be an all day rain, I’ll wear the frontier set.
Walking in them isn’t fun, but better than being wet.
I have and will again wear them over another layer in the rain.
Did you purchase the size pant/ jacket you typically wear or did you go a size up? I am just looking for affordable rain gear to wear in a saddle/ stand that wont break the bank.

Did you purchase the size pant/ jacket you typically wear or did you go a size up? I am just looking for affordable rain gear to wear in a saddle/ stand that wont break the bank.
Look on RW’s site. I believe they recommend ordering one size down??? Don’t quote me on that.
But regardless, I ordered my normal size, and found the pioneer set; particularly to run a bit big. If I was ordering rain gear to layer under, and was on an budget, I think these would be top of my list.

Anything with Goretex has seems to work well for me. No matter what I have gotten if had something other than Goretex it failed me.

The Cabela's mt050 stuff is not bad from what I've heard. If you are sitting in constant rain, eventually you're going to get wet. Either from condensation inside the garments or leakage at wear areas or seams.

Best to wear something completely waterproof (not water resistant) to and from the stand, ditch it because it won't be breathable....and then stay covered while hunting. No way around it.

I picked up some lightly used military rain gear on fleabay. I will post a review once it sees some use. All I can say for now is it looks high quality, its camo and the price was right.

Back