• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rainy day kestrel clone

Homebrew454

I have been putting this project off for a while now. I was planning on going out mid day as I have been seeing a lot of doe activity lately but decided to tackle this instead since it is raining out. I have about 3.5 hours into it so far and maybe another 2-3 left. I will finish up tomorrow or Wednesday as I need some beefier needles to complete it.

I am not going to be using lineman's loops. I intentionally made the loops on the saddle smaller to try using them instead.

Ckossuth laid the ground work and it is his plan that I used. If it wasn't for that plan, I probably wouldn't have tried the build. All in all I think it will turn out really well. Going to test it at ground level first but it is built better than my sit drag so I'm sure it will be fine. My thread injection skills have drastically improved from when I started making diy projects this spring!

Thanks for the push guys!
bc4ba6f93395a6dd00119df151484104.jpg
79ac6a9f5405fd8eee45605436725b7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I like it. You did a bang-up job.

I've kicked around trying to make a kestrel with no MOLLE and fixed leg loops out of a lighter material.
I don't have a digital scale but it doesn't seem like it weighs that much. I would say it is about 3/4 of the way done right now. Mainly some more stitching and the leg straps left. The buckle is weight rated polymer and I'm using some ITW g hooks for the legs. I may have to pick up a digital scale...I could really use it for brewing beer as well

I thought about no molle or just some on the immediate side... Like 2 loops each side but went with it all around. I never know I may make a version 2 later.

No, it's just something I've been working on. It's really comfortable. I'm letting one of my buddies use it right now to give me some feedback. I built another design and am not sure which I like better. There about 2.5 lbs.

Looks great, I've been wrestling with material choices and design features, it's good to see others working through it, keep up the great work!

Really would like to see details and more pics on this build. Nice job
I used the same measurements and instructions from ckossuth in his "diy kestrel clone." Just search for what is in quotes and look at his write up. If you need anything else let me know and i will try to answer your questions.

The buckle and g hooks are from milspecmonkey.com and the webbing was sourced from ripstopbytheroll.com. i had the cordura and was purchased from eBay.

I think if i would do it again i would just leave the molle off. I have not used it as it weighs down the saddle to much. But others love the molle.

I would also make it a little narrower as his width was 31 inches. I was thinking idea width for me would be about 27 inches. It is very comfy for me but I have been using my Mantis this year and this as a backup. That may change as my son is intrigued with the saddle. I would have him use the Mantis and me use the diy version. I really need to weigh this though as it is really light... Not Mantis light though.

Back