• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel Device and Carabiner

K.D.P

SH Member
I’m looking to get a rappel device and a carabiner. I just purchased a setup that comes with a figure 8. However I think I’m going to use that as my backup. Any suggestions on what I should get? I know a Safeguard is the big thing but just looking at other options before I spend that money.

Plenty of options out there, is cost a factor? The madrock safeguard is likely the most popular for saddle hunting because of its small size and weight. The GriGri+ is what I am using currently which is a bit bigger but has nice safety features on it for a beginner. Both are easy to use and if I had my choice these would be my top two options.

Plenty of options out there, is cost a factor? The madrock safeguard is likely the most popular for saddle hunting because of its small size and weight. The GriGri+ is what I am using currently which is a bit bigger but has nice safety features on it for a beginner. Both are easy to use and if I had my choice these would be my top two options.
I’ve looked into the safeguard but I’m not sure I want to spend that money yet.

GriGri+ is bigger and better than the Madrock, because of the smooth operation and the extra safety. Your rope should match exactly the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Figure 8 as a backup is the same as i do. Just for the case of accidentally dropping... :)

IMG_20211114_170711 (1).jpg

GriGri+ is bigger and better than the Madrock, because of the smooth operation and the extra safety. Your rope should match exactly the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Figure 8 as a backup is the same as i do. Just for the case of accidentally dropping... :)

View attachment 56973

U vacuum pack your 8’s???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Th

View attachment 56973
That’s a good setup.

I have answered this question more than any other one: your Carabiner is your friction device. I own 3 figure 8s but i have more control with the munter and I can't drop it because it is fixed on my bridge.

My video demonstrates it on a double drove, but everything works the same on a single.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

In 14 years in a saddle, i kinda chuckle at everybody who thinks you need a device to repel. Gravity is with us. We just need to control the friction. This is how I repel, and I do it on two rope strands as demonstrated or 1 rope strand if that's the nature of the climb. I can't drop it either!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is a way to add friction by only needing to fit a bight of the rope through the slot, over the post, and pull out slack. Attached to harness, can’t drop. It’s a device, but a passive one, unlike a carabiner that needs to be open.
6B5A7EE1-FDF0-4962-B86F-0F96A206B7DB.jpeg

What as a back up?
[/QUO
I’m looking to get a rappel device and a carabiner. I just purchased a setup that comes with a figure 8. However I think I’m going to use that as my backup. Any suggestions on what I should get? I know a Safeguard is the big thing but just looking at other options before I spend that money.

Are you using your Rappel rope for your tether as well or do you use a second tether as the main attachment to the tree? If just using the 8 on rappel, you could back that up with an autoblock hitch attached to the tag end of your rappel rope below the 8 and a carabiner to attach it to your bridge loop. Doing it this way may feel a little uncomfortable though because with the autoblock hitch attached to the bridge loop may cause it to pull that side of your body at an upward angle. You could also use the autoblock above the 8 and attach it to big eye on the 8.

Back