• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel Rope Break-in?

VASteve

SH Member
New to the rappel thing, but want to give it a try. I purchased the Canyon C-IV, Grivel Figure-8 and Hollowblock. I tried to rappel from the 5 - 6 foot range but it seemed very jerky coming down. The rope just chunked through the figure-8, was not smooth at all. I flipped the figure-8 over and attempted it both ways (convex and concave) and got the same results.

So I guess my question, as the title says, is there a break-in period for the new rope before it slides smoothly through the ATC? I am leaning toward getting the Safeguard, but didn't really want to spend the extra money.

I doubt you will get a "James Bond- 007 quality" rappel with a fig 8 even with a broken in rope. ATC tubular devices are smoother since they don't twist the rope. You said both figure 8 and ATC, so I'm not sure what you have. I broke down and bought a safeguard this year and can't wait to rappel with it.

Figure 8s have their places since they are pretty bomb proof but not the smoothest ride.

I doubt you will get a "James Bond- 007 quality" rappel with a fig 8 even with a broken in rope. ATC tubular devices are smoother since they don't twist the rope. You said both figure 8 and ATC, so I'm not sure what you have. I broke down and bought a safeguard this year and can't wait to rappel with it.

Figure 8s have their places since they are pretty bomb proof but not the smoothest ride.

Sorry, used "ATC" as a generic term for rappelling device. I have the Grivel Figure-8. Thanks for the input, I will try it a few more times and if it doesn't get much better, will look to another device.

I started with a single rope ATC. Tried it and it was ok. Then I got a safeguard and it is way nicer to use. It is expensive but it is worth it IMO. Some guys are using them as their tether attachment too. Especially if they use their repel rope as their tether. So you could justify more than one use from it too. I still keep the ATC as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’m the opposite. On both CIV and HTP, I found the safeguard to be jerky and the ATC and figure 8 to be smoother. Both of those ropes seem to have loosened up a little with time, but still stiffer than Oplux.

I got the grivel mono ATC from DanO and it works very nicely with oplux. I would think it would work well with the canyon rope too.

Back