• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel Rope- purchase by the foot?

Jokerswild

All the shops have longer ropes than I need. Obviously Rappel rope for the rock climbing crowd has to be that long. Where can a guy buy shorter lengths, or by the foot- in gear you can trust(not Amazon)? Or do you just cowboy up the cash knowing you will need to replace at some point? I need to upgrade my set up for sure.

Here is the other dilemma in the area- I think....Climbing- dynamic rope would seem the wise choice. Rappel should be done on static. Or.....does the SHORT distance from the tree girth hitch to the connection point, make dynamic rope a non factor?

Www.doublesteps.com

That’s where you go to buy rope around these parts. And by the foot.

I have many rappels on both static and dynamic ropes. IIRC I did 90 feet on dynamic in training, with some serious edge protection.

If you buy good rope, either static or dynamic and hunt from reasonable heights, you’ll be fine. If you play stupid games, you’ll win stupid prizes. But being careful and smart, either rope will work. I have Sterling HTP 9mm and 10mm. I’ve rappelled on 11mm as well. Buy the rope approximately matched to your descender and buy it from a reputable maker and source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the shops have longer ropes than I need. Obviously Rappel rope for the rock climbing crowd has to be that long. Where can a guy buy shorter lengths, or by the foot- in gear you can trust(not Amazon)? Or do you just cowboy up the cash knowing you will need to replace at some point? I need to upgrade my set up for sure.

Here is the other dilemma in the area- I think....Climbing- dynamic rope would seem the wise choice. Rappel should be done on static. Or.....does the SHORT distance from the tree girth hitch to the connection point, make dynamic rope a non factor?
Most people on here are using static rope, but there is nothing wrong with rappelling on dynamic rope and if you do happen to take a fall of any size dynamic rope will be more forgiving on your body. Its sometimes hard to find dynamic rope by the foot though.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

I second EWO but other options are Wesspur.com and Treestuff.com. Both are arborist outlets and have decent selections of static ropes by the foot intended for use in the arborist industry. Both also offer splicing services if you so desire.

LOL. Almost all of that is cord, static rope, or semi-static rope, accessory cord, or not sold by the foot. The actual selection and availability is much more limited.

Contrast that to static rope where there is choice all over the place. On the static side you can pick your rope, your diameter, your color and you can pretty much get it by the foot. The situation is much different with dynamic.

LOL. Almost all of that is cord, static rope, or semi-static rope, accessory cord, or not sold by the foot. The actual selection and availability is much more limited.

Contrast that to static rope where there is choice all over the place. On the static side you can pick your rope, your diameter, your color and you can pretty much get it by the foot. The situation is much different with dynamic.
Yeah but they have like what, 4 options? If the end user has deemed that dynamic rope is what they want, there are some options for them.

Edit: 3 choices.

Yeah but they have like what, 4 options? If the end user has deemed that dynamic rope is what they want, there are some options for them.

Edit: 3 choices.

one retailer with 3 choices...counts as hard to find in my book.

I'm pretty impressed with the KM-III 9.5MM static rope I bought from here so far. Sold by the foot

Anyone using Yale Kernmaster ? Was looking for rope today and seen it on WesSpur , don’t see a whole lot of mention of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a little talk of it on TreeBuzz, they made two different ones. One polyester jacket with nylon core, and one all polyester.
Some folks really liked the all polyester for SRT work. The poly/nylon is probably like climbing a rubber band if used SRT.
Some complaints of it flattening with RopeRunner and other devices, but flattening rope doesn’t bother me much.
Aside from 12 strand, most arborist climb lines should stay pretty round if used with a hitch.

The 48 strand cover of the Kernmaster is very smooth, let’s hitches and devices run easier.

Back