• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel rope replacement, annually?

MaxKE

How often are you guys changing your rappel rope? I was going to do mine annually, regardless of any visible wear. I hunt around 60-80x a year. Sterling C-IV

Last edited:
I'm assuming that's because our application isn't as strenuous as actual rock climbing?

Yeah pretty much. One shot to the bottom at the end of the hunt, that's nothing. In other types of climbing the rope is being run back and forth over and over all day.

This was my first full season reppelling. Guessing 40 hunts this year and a few last year. Rope still like new. I do use a separate tether to clime so that takes most of the beating.

It’s not so much number of times used than it is how it’s used.

If you take care of the rope by keeping it dry, not letting it drag along or through the dirt and limit its UV exposure, it’ll probably outlive you.

However, if it’s wet and you leave it damp in a bag, let it sit and/or drag through the dirt or use it as your tether exposing it to lengthy UV exposure, its life with be greatly reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my first full season reppelling. Guessing 40 hunts this year and a few last year. Rope still like new. I do use a separate tether to clime so that takes most of the beating.
Same

I’m hoping to start using DdRT/MRS soon, mostly just for fun but also for a couple of really old, mature trees I want to try and get into. My question is, does MRS vs SRS vs “simple” rappel make a noticeable difference on how the rope might last? Generally in MRS there is not a lot of dependence on mechanical devices, which I would generally think is less wear on the rope, but there is friction in the sliding hitch. Just curious how “method of use” might change the life on that rope.

I’m hoping to start using DdRT/MRS soon, mostly just for fun but also for a couple of really old, mature trees I want to try and get into. My question is, does MRS vs SRS vs “simple” rappel make a noticeable difference on how the rope might last? Generally in MRS there is not a lot of dependence on mechanical devices, which I would generally think is less wear on the rope, but there is friction in the sliding hitch. Just curious how “method of use” might change the life on that rope.
It depends on how quickly you come down the rope on a MRS system. My wife flies down on her Blake’s and I had to remove the last 5’ of her rope after 3 seasons. I’m on season 5 and I haven’t had to cut mine but I come down much slower and relieve some of the tension with my brake arm, while I come down. Another option to make your MRS rope last longer is to use a split tail. That way you’re only replacing that extra portion and your main climbing line will last longer.

How often are you guys changing your rappel rope? I was going to do mine annually, regardless of any visible wear. I hunt around 60-80x a year. Sterling C-IV
You’ll be waisting money. Always hang your rope to dry. Try to avoid getting a lot of dirt on it to the best of your ability, and inspect your rope for abrasions, fraying, or melted looking spots. If you find a flat spot, learn to do the pinch test and check for damages. A rappel rope should last you multiple seasons because it’s a static kermantle cover and the rope is stationary. Rappelling generates some heat but since you’re not keeping the heat source in one spot it spreads and dissipates quickly. Also there is way less friction produces and less abrasion if you use a belay device or a figure 8, than if you were trying to use hitches.

To give you an idea, I ran DdRT for years all day every day and might swap out a rope once a year. Those were 1/2" 16 strand ropes at that time. Even the most avid hunter is nothing compared to professional use in terms of rope wear

Back