• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel rope

Brian sharnick

Red beard
Could you show how you put rappel rope in water bottle holder for rappelling
So when in comes out of water bottle holder it doesn’t get caught up in holder
Thanks
Maybe video /new to saddle hunting this year

Red beard
Could you show how you put rappel rope in water bottle holder for rappelling
So when in comes out of water bottle holder it doesn’t get caught up in holder
Thanks
Maybe video /new to saddle hunting this year
Hey buddy! Great question. I'm glad you asked!

Many folks like to coil or figure 8 the length of their rope. I personally have found that coiling any rope will undoubtedly leave me with a mess once I go to deploy it. So the process I settled on is almost too simple to believe... just stuff the rope in the bag and don't try to coil it. The principle is based on climbing rope in a rope tarp.
20200722_075702.jpg
I give it an odd fold and a little turn every time I grab a handful of rope and shove it in the bag. The messier, the better! I've employed this strategy successfully using two different bags. Hopefully the pictures below capture what the end product looks like.
20201001_074515.jpg20201001_074411.jpg20201001_074347.jpg
Both bags have a hole through which I feed the end of the rope. This ensures the rope pays out nicely and doesn't come out in clumps.
20201001_074540.jpg20201001_074449.jpg

Is that canyon I-v you squeezed into the water bottle pouch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey buddy! Great question. I'm glad you asked!

Many folks like to coil or figure 8 the length of their rope. I personally have found that coiling any rope will undoubtedly leave me with a mess once I go to deploy it. So the process I settled on is almost too simple to believe... just stuff the rope in the bag and don't try to coil it. The principle is based on climbing rope in a rope tarp.
View attachment 35814
I give it an odd fold and a little turn every time I grab a handful of rope and shove it in the bag. The messier, the better! I've employed this strategy successfully using two different bags. Hopefully the pictures below capture what the end product looks like.
View attachment 35816View attachment 35817View attachment 35818
Both bags have a hole through which I feed the end of the rope. This ensures the rope pays out nicely and doesn't come out in clumps.
View attachment 35819View attachment 35820
Is something like this better than using a roll up pouch like @ckossuth

Is that canyon I-v you squeezed into the water bottle pouch?
Yeppers! All 37ft of it... and a Safeguard... and an Kong Argon carabiner... and a Petzl delta link... and a bow hanger/tether assist tool

Mine is a different brand than what @DanO sells. Pretty confident you could get much of the same gear in his though.
20201001_082019.jpg20201001_082050.jpg

Is something like this better than using a roll up pouch like @ckossuth
"Better" is kind of subjective and so I'm not sure I can address that since I've never used a roll up pouch style bag. :)

I can say this though, the roll up style pouch is an interesting design. However, it doesn't appeal to me because the way I've seen it used, you have to remove the entire length of rope from the bag and toss it down the tree prior to beginning your rappel.

The water bottle pouch is different in that the rope stays in the bag and pays out while you descend.

"Better" is kind of subjective and so I'm not sure I can address that since I've never used a roll up pouch style bag. :)

I can say this though, the roll up style pouch is an interesting design. However, it doesn't appeal to me because the way I've seen it used, you have to remove the entire length of rope from the bag and toss it down the tree prior to beginning your rappel.

The water bottle pouch is different in that the rope stays in the bag and pays out while you descend.
Oh cool, i didnt realize it stayed in and fed out itself. Do you have a video of you repelling with it?

Oh cool, i didnt realize it stayed in and fed out itself. Do you have a video of you repelling with it?
Yeah. There's one here somewhere about it. Need to do another one though now that I think about it since I switched from an ATC to a Safeguard.

You know I have never thought about it in this manner. Every time get out of the tree I take my gear rope and try to wrap it up very nice and neat for the next hunt. Every time I get to the tree on the next hunt I have to get all the knots out and it takes a few minutes. When I get to the top and I’m settled in the tree I just throw it in the bag. When I go to descend down the tree and take it out it has no knots in it and just drops straight to the ground.

You know I have never thought about it in this manner. Every time get out of the tree I take my gear rope and try to wrap it up very nice and neat for the next hunt. Every time I get to the tree on the next hunt I have to get all the knots out and it takes a few minutes. When I get to the top and I’m settled in the tree I just throw it in the bag. When I go to descend down the tree and take it out it has no knots in it and just drops straight to the ground.
Yep. Seems super-counter-intuitive :D

The "stuff it in" method was basically how I was taught to load rope bags. I was unsure about it working with the water bottle holder, but it seems to work well every time I've used it.

I cut the little Velcro pieces off of the hole, makes the rope feed smoother.

Try this on for size...

Lashing strap from Walmart camping section cut to size, and added to MOLLE loop on hip of saddle:
Screenshot_20201001-221039.png

Coil your rappel rope into a figure 8 by going back and forth between your hand and elbow:
Screenshot_20201001-221346.png

Open buckle, feed strap thru figure 8 coil, and close buckle. Rope rides neatly on your hip and out of the way:
Screenshot_20201001-221654.png

Works great for transport. For climbing and hunting purposes, you can open the buckle, pull 7 feet or so out, and re-close the buckle. Then when you're ready to rappel down, simply squeeze the buckle to open it and your rope will fall to the ground untangled. A simple $2 solution...

Back