• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rappelers....ATC a must? or 'Biner with Munters?

hickstick

I have a ATC, but prefer to keep it with my R/C harness. (don't want to end up at the gym or crag and not have my belay device).

was wondering if rappelling with a locking Carabiner and a Munters was doable. here's what I'm thinking; using my kestrel only (no R/C harness)..using the bridge as and extended belay/rappel...and have an autoblock on a leg strap. using 11mm static

thoughts? opinions?

I do the same out of my Sitdrag. I use 40' of Samson ultratech as my rappel line and a Rick Exotica Mini8 for the descender. Love it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

A Munter twists the rope quite a bit which is a little annoying but it works especially for short hunting type descents. A figure 8 is a little cleaner way to do it but it's an extra piece of hardware.

I'd buy another ATC or a GriGri2. I have and use both depending on day. I also run a Petzl Rig for SRT as I wasn't happy working with the grigri in that application.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yea...I've heard a lot of complaints about the grigri2. I figured the 20' rappel wouldn't be too much of a bother with twists in the rope.

@g2outdoors are you saying you carry an separate rappelling rope from your tether?

yea...I've heard a lot of complaints about the grigri2. I figured the 20' rappel wouldn't be too much of a bother with twists in the rope.

@g2outdoors are you saying you carry an separate rappelling rope from your tether?
don't let me comment fool you. the grigri2 is great for rappelling and cleaning the tree on the way down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup. I carry a separate rap rope when I'm hunting spurs. May not be the most weight conscious move, but my standard tether never leaves my saddle hip pocket. No exceptions.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Yup. I carry a separate rap rope when I'm hunting spurs. May not be the most weight conscious move, but my standard tether never leaves my saddle hip pocket. No exceptions.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
x2

Back