• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappell

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Ok so everyone knows we should be using a screw link for rope attachment. We should never ever ever use a carabiner in that application but I see some in use. So if someone chose to use one which one should they choose? Definitely not the ultralight I beam design Like a petzl attaché. A compact one would be less likely to really side load. So is there a small compact carabiner that is made round so it would have a little more strength?

Maybe I need to keep trying links. My two are a pain to open and close. Even with a touch of oil on the threads. I really couldn’t see using it somewhere really cold. I guess I could he’s time valve lapping compound and lather it up good, open and close it a few thousand times and it would be good to go.

Where is the link utilized? I have been tying figure 8 on a bite, girth hitching rope to tree, reppelling with a black diamond figure 8 that I clip into my bridge with a locking carabiner.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Maybe I need to keep trying links. My two are a pain to open and close. Even with a touch of oil on the threads. I really couldn’t see using it somewhere really cold. I guess I could he’s time valve lapping compound and lather it up good, open and close it a few thousand times and it would be good to go.
I bought a few through my local Lowes and then i bought a climbing link through REI. The climbing one is much smoother and machined to better tolerances. The ones from Lowes work like you describe. The REI one I can spin closed with one finger.

Instead of a link you could just tie a figure eight follow through around the standing end of the line. Rock climbers do that to their harness every time.

I don’t know. One is a camp the other is a petzl. Both climbing rated. I may give the lapping compound a try.

I don’t know. One is a camp the other is a petzl. Both climbing rated. I may give the lapping compound a try.
I would contact the manufacturer. They should have been inspected and better quality than the mechanics rated version.
Here is the one I bought. It is pretty heavy.

I have a maillon rapide quick link that I bought off of treestuff a couple of years ago. I haven't noticed any difficulties opening or closing mine regardless of weather (hot, cold, wet, icy). Unfortunately I don't think they carry them anymore and I think petzl might have bought them out and replaced them with the petzl go.

Ok so everyone knows we should be using a screw link for rope attachment. We should never ever ever use a carabiner in that application but I see some in use. So if someone chose to use one which one should they choose? Definitely not the ultralight I beam design Like a petzl attaché. A compact one would be less likely to really side load. So is there a small compact carabiner that is made round so it would have a little more strength?

This one is no stronger than it's ibeam companion

Had the same issue as you with both brands! I have not tried lapping them yet, but have resorted to only opening it to the bare minimum to squeeze the oplux through so I don't have to deal with it as much. I have, and will probably will again, used the small size Petzl Spirit biner in place of the others. It is a risk I choose to accept when I have done so and nothing beats the simplicity and speed of the carabiner, therefore our desire.

Had the same issue as you with both brands! I have not tried lapping them yet, but have resorted to only opening it to the bare minimum to squeeze the oplux through so I don't have to deal with it as much. I have, and will probably will again, used the small size Petzl Spirit biner in place of the others. It is a risk I choose to accept when I have done so and nothing beats the simplicity and speed of the carabiner, therefore our desire.
I ran 9mm htp so I pretty much had to open mine all the way. There are steel biners that are rated for 40kn and would probably be fine but they are so big.

I was confused when I saw links in some recent videos. Those links at Lowe’s have a really low weight rating. Like in the hundreds of pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was confused when I saw links in some recent videos. Those links at Lowe’s have a really low weight rating. Like in the hundreds of pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do not use the hardware store links, stick with Petzl, Camp, or other climb rated brands specific to this purpose. Also, they do function properly, but mine do not spin as freely or easily as a locking carabiner, therefore the thoughts of using a polishing compound to smooth them out a bit.

Or

Does anyone know the what thread it is? U can always run a thread file and clean them up. Fine thread metric ...I dont known the size

I was going to do this to my delta link cause it is hard to thread.... just haven't researched yet

I use the Maillon Rapide (Petzl) stainless links and have no problems opening or closing them.

Why not just tying a bowline? It creates a loop and the eye can be tied around the long end of the rope eliminating the need to feed the entire rope through it. No need for hardware, no equipment failure and easy to undo even after it was weight loaded.

Back