• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Accident

Swingin' Free

Nov 6, 2018
Central NY
That doesn't look like the Madrock most of us are using. I've seen the lifeguard and safeguard being used here. Most are also using static not dynamic ropes also

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
That doesn't look like the Madrock most of us are using. I've seen the lifeguard and safeguard being used here. Most are also using static not dynamic ropes also
Agree, that is more like a std ATC belay device, not a Safeguard or Lifeguard, but the details about his weight and the dynamic rope stretch changing its functional diameter is worth noting for anyone using similar setups.

John H.

Bourdeau

Dec 23, 2018
Caroga Lake, New York
YAHOO
scottbourdeau@yahoo.com
Thanks for posting, It is a MadRock MadLock device at $20.00 way cheaper than what we are using Safeguard/Lifeguard...also his rope diameter was the minimum size the device was made for and under load became under even that minimum size, also it is always suggested to make an additional loop through the hook on it which I suspect was not done either. So this becomes important to me for three reasons.....read and follow manufacturers directions for use, check that the backup device is right and able to hold you before descending(not sure how the hollow block burned at the splice should not have been in the friction part of the backup), make sure you know what to do in the event any/all device fails....before attempting a repel learn the basics of climbing and repelling....a simple foot lock would have stopped him at any point in the repel!

Reactions: Ed the Red

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I am just posting this for information to those who rappel using the MadRock. Stay safe.

No final conclusion has been drawn. I recommend following this if you use this device.

https://www.mountainproject.com/for...ppelling-accident-using-mad-rock-belay-device.

Some very good information in that thread. I'd consider removing "using the madrock" from your post. It has very little to do with what happened here. He used a simple rappel device made by madrock(the brand/company), not the madrock safeguard/lifeguard folks here are using. It is not the same, and may give folks an unnecessary concern that their device is not ok to use.

There were many things that seemed wrong with technique, and preparation here. All good things for folks to consider.

Reactions: boyne bowhunter

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I tried SRT in my backyard and found if hooking the ATC to my belay loop it was difficult to prevent the autoblock (prusik ) which was clipped to my leg loop from contacting the ATC and defeating the autoblock. Extending the ATC further away from your body with a sling prevents the prusik from reaching the ATC and the autoblock can function normally. There are several Youtube videos by certified mountaineering instructors explaining this.