• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling advice?

Recurveaholic

What do all you guys recommend for rappelling as far as equipment and rope? I have been thinking about the figure 8 looking rappel device, any thoughts?

I've been using sterling htp 9mm rope with a black diamond atc belay device and autoblock, which allows me to stop at any point and go hands free from rope to remove sticks, platform etc. Not sure if thats possible with a figure 8.

I've been using sterling htp 9mm rope with a black diamond atc belay device and autoblock, which allows me to stop at any point and go hands free from rope to remove sticks, platform etc. Not sure if thats possible with a figure 8.
Good point I have not thought about that! Thanks!

slonstdy said:
Not sure if that's possible with a figure 8

Good point I have not thought about that! Thanks!

Whether it's a figure eight, atc, grigri, safeguard, etc, rappelling devices act as a friction brake to arrest descent. Certain devices like the grigri or the safeguard are assisted braking devices which have mechanisms to prevent the rope from passing through the device. The term "auto-locking" or "auto-blocking" is discouraged for these devices because mechanical failures can occur.

In a hands free use case, non-assisted braking devices (ATC, figure eight) should (imho) be backed up by an autoblock (i.e. friction hitch in most implementations) to prevent a fall in emergency situations. There are certain considerations when setting up your rappelling rig (like making sure your autoblock cannot reach your belay/rappel device). There is a lot that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing and as @Vtbow has suggested: get a lesson from a qualified instructor.

TL;DR - yes you most certainly can put an autoblock on a figure eight, but consult an expert to make sure you're doing it right and staying safe.

Whether it's a figure eight, atc, grigri, safeguard, etc, rappelling devices act as a friction brake to arrest descent. Certain devices like the grigri or the safeguard are assisted braking devices which have mechanisms to prevent the rope from passing through the device. The term "auto-locking" or "auto-blocking" is discouraged for these devices because mechanical failures can occur.

In a hands free use case, non-assisted braking devices (ATC, figure eight) should (imho) be backed up by an autoblock (i.e. friction hitch in most implementations) to prevent a fall in emergency situations. There are certain considerations when setting up your rappelling rig (like making sure your autoblock cannot reach your belay/rappel device). There is a lot that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing and as @Vtbow has suggested: get a lesson from a qualified instructor.

TL;DR - yes you most certainly can put an autoblock on a figure eight, but consult an expert to make sure you're doing it right and staying safe.
Thank you for detailed information!

Just my $0.02, but a figure 8 will twist your rope so I elected to purchase an ATC type device.

Also, IN MY OPINION:
1- bigger rope is more controllable and "easier" for descent speed control.
2- rappelling down a 2 rope setup will also be slower than a single of the same rope.

3x the "go get some instruction" comments;
Boy Scouts of America have some good programs to offer.

Lastly- consider getting some additional training from someone in a certified class.

Safety always.

Just my $0.02, but a figure 8 will twist your rope so I elected to purchase an ATC type device.

Also, IN MY OPINION:
1- bigger rope is more controllable and "easier" for descent speed control.
2- rappelling down a 2 rope setup will also be slower than a single of the same rope.

3x the "go get some instruction" comments;
Boy Scouts of America have some good programs to offer.

Lastly- consider getting some additional training from someone in a certified class.

Safety always.
Yes I was looking at the atc!

I have both a Grigri and an ATC. Both are great. I’ll use the ATC with a backup if I’m going to hike a long way and one stick up a tree and rappel out. It’s lighter and quieter than the grigri. But other times when I climb the rope up into a tree, I’ll use the grigri with a hand ascender and foot loop to go up. Then I’ll use the grigri to come down.

I have both a Grigri and an ATC. Both are great. I’ll use the ATC with a backup if I’m going to hike a long way and one stick up a tree and rappel out. It’s lighter and quieter than the grigri. But other times when I climb the rope up into a tree, I’ll use the grigri with a hand ascender and foot loop to go up. Then I’ll use the grigri to come down.
I thought that might be why some people used the grigri being a double use tool!

Yes, but you have to have a bunch of other stuff to SRT up the tree. And you have to get the rope over a limb to start. IMHO, it’s too close to deer season to start learning all that. Be safe above all else.
Thanks and you stay safe as well!

Learn how to tie and use a Munter hitch on a carabiner for when you drop your device...just saying.... I always have an extra one of those in my pouch...for such emergencies, and for the real minimalist learn how to foot lock the rope and bring gloves...

Learn how to tie and use a Munter hitch on a carabiner for when you drop your device...just saying.... I always have an extra one of those in my pouch...for such emergencies, and for the real minimalist learn how to foot lock the rope and bring gloves...
Can you just use the Munter hitch instead of a device?

As a rec tree climber for quite a few years I also am in agreement to get some qualified instruction. This can really expedite the learning curve and address safety issues. I still would like to have a climb in at my place in Michigan and could pass on some info I was taught by several really good climbers. One guy runs a school in North Carolina (Blue Ridge Tree climbing) and the other one is an urban arborist and competitor and designer of the Singing Tree Rope Wrench and Rope runner.

Back