• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Details Please!

emrah.oruc.7

Can someone me walk through very detailed step by step instructions for rappelling? I have a Black Diamond ATC. I can tie an autoblock. I know the general gist of it. But I’d like to know:

1. The exact order you do things once you’re ready to rappel.

2. What do you do with your prussik/ascender (if hanging from one)? Does it stay attached to your tether?

3. How do you pull your prussik/ascender through your girth hitch eye once you’re down?

4. What is a delta link used for?

Like I said, I know the gist of it but the logistics and order of what you clip/unclip are kind of confusing.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before i started using my safeguard for everything what i did was

When hanging from my prusik id lean forward and feed my bight of rope through my atc, clip in a carabiner. Clip that into my bridge. Then i would just slide my prusik down to where i could unclip it and clip it into my lineman loops. Weight it (might need to adjust either atc or prusik slightly) and im ready to rappel.

This way my prusik is always connected, i have a bit of slack when i slide my prusik down to my lineman loop, but i can hold the weight on my atc pretty easily.

The delta link is more for being able to connect and disconnect your tether for going around branches easier, instead of having to feed the entire rope back through the eye.

I just clip in a small carabiner near my quick link on my retrieval rope to the tether to pull the rope down from the ground

The delta link is more for being able to connect and disconnect your tether for going around branches easier, instead of having to feed the entire rope back through the eye.

I just clip in a small carabiner near my quick link on my retrieval rope to the tether to pull the rope down from the ground

I found this delta link last week. Smaller and lighter than the one I used last year. Only $10 us.

#4. The delta link allows no side loading of the rope on the girth hitch and allow you to put 30 feet of rope through a girth hitch with out pulling 30 feet through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
So when you first clip on your ATC, it’s below your prussik. How do you get the prussik below the ATC without disconnecting? Do you stand up and move your prussik down low by your hip before clipping in the ATC and have a ton of slack?

Isn’t the prussik too hard to move once it’s weighted to descend with? Sounds like you’re using the prussik instead of an autoblock. Is that right?

How exactly do you connect the quick link?

Emrah

I use a dedicated rappel rope instead of my tether. I attach it to the tree. Feed my loop through the atc/figure 8. Then attach that to my bridge with a carabiner. I use an auto block, so I then attach that to the rope and my lineman loop. Then I release my distel on the tether until the autoblock catches. Then I unclip distel hitch from bridge, take tether off tree, and store it for the ride down.

Last edited:
Can someone me walk through very detailed step by step instructions for rappelling? I have a Black Diamond ATC. I can tie an autoblock. I know the general gist of it. But I’d like to know:

1. The exact order you do things once you’re ready to rappel.

2. What do you do with your prussik/ascender (if hanging from one)? Does it stay attached to your tether?

3. How do you pull your prussik/ascender through your girth hitch eye once you’re down?

4. What is a delta link used for?

Like I said, I know the gist of it but the logistics and order of what you clip/unclip are kind of confusing.

Emrah

Have you checked if you’re near a REI location? They offer basic climbing courses including rappelling. That way, you’d have a certified instructor showing you in real one on one how it’s done correctly. After that, you can modify to adjust for saddle hunting.

Have you checked if you’re near a REI location? They offer basic climbing courses including rappelling. That way, you’d have a certified instructor showing you in real one on one how it’s done correctly. After that, you can modify to adjust for saddle hunting.

We do have an rei. I’m in no way saying I know what I’m doing, but I have practiced rappelling down. Not from very high, but practiced nonetheless. That part I understand and am comfortable with. My confusion is more about the transition to rappelling while still tethered and the use of a quick link.

Emrah

We do have an rei. I’m in no way saying I know what I’m doing, but I have practiced rappelling down. Not from very high, but practiced nonetheless. That part I understand and am comfortable with. My confusion is more about the transition to rappelling while still tethered and the use of a quick link.

Emrah

I see, then I agree with post #2

I wrap a Klemheist friction hitch (4 wrap) above my connection on the repelling rope then take a bite of rope below the attachments and wind it through and around a figure 8, clip the Klemheist and figure 8 to the bridge then remove original attachment/tether and repel down the rope.

Last edited:
So when you first clip on your ATC, it’s below your prussik. How do you get the prussik below the ATC without disconnecting? Do you stand up and move your prussik down low by your hip before clipping in the ATC and have a ton of slack?

Isn’t the prussik too hard to move once it’s weighted to descend with? Sounds like you’re using the prussik instead of an autoblock. Is that right?

How exactly do you connect the quick link?

Emrah

I put my atc above my prusik.
When you re-weight it, a majority of your weight is held by your atc, the prusik just acts as a third arm, so it doesnt really bind up.
I used a french prusik anyways, so i didnt have an issue with it, but i dont see how any type of friction knot would really make much of a difference

I use a tether and a separate rope to rappel. Here is my checklist.

While still on teether but all other gear is stowed and bow at bottom of the tree :

Hook rappel rope to tree and send the rest to bottom
Hook pull down cord to rappel rope and send to bottom
Tie in autoblock to linemans loop
Hook up ATC
put gloves on
Stand up and transfer weight from tether to rappel setup
Test rappel setup holds weight and autoblock is secure
Remove tether
Down you go ...... collecting platform and stick(s) on the way down

While still on teether but all other gear is stowed and bow at bottom of the tree :

Hook up ATC
put gloves on
Remove tether

Cool. This is what I was looking for

Have you considered the option of using a Safeguard? There are no transitions needed, and an autobloc is optional (your safety, your call)!
That is what I use. Here is a video that shows a few different type of mechanical belay devices in use.

Hook up ATC
put gloves on
Remove tether
Another option that I prefer is to just use a safeguard on your rappel rope as your tether. Been working great for me. One less rope to carry in my pack and I don't have to transition squat. Less is more for me when it comes to saddle hunting gear in terms of both pieces and process. However I can see where some guys would prefer a seperate rope for their tether.

Another option that I prefer is to just use a safeguard on your rappel rope as your tether. Been working great for me. One less rope to carry in my pack and I don't have to transition squat. Less is more for me when it comes to saddle hunting gear in terms of both pieces and process. However I can see where some guys would prefer a seperate rope for their tether.
I only rappel when one sticking or SRT climbing. The majority of my hunts are from fixed sticks and I do not rappel when using those. I like a tether..... it keeps everything consistent for me from a hunting standpoint. I can see the appeal if you always rappel.

I only rappel when one sticking or SRT climbing. The majority of my hunts are from fixed sticks and I do not rappel when using those. I like a tether..... it keeps everything consistent for me from a hunting standpoint. I can see the appeal if you always rappel.
Agreed, if you aren't rappeling there is no need to pack 36-40 foot of rope and a safegaurd. If I am not rappeling I am taking my OpLux tether with friction hitch and tender.

Back