• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling gear/setup

AntlerAddict76

Hey guys, been looking for some info on how -to and gear for rappelling descents from hunting height. Any help would be great, like description of basic techniques or good resources to look up, what gear I need etc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its really easy, so much so that I rappel out even when I use sticks sometimes. Just stop and undo sticks on the way down. All you need is a rope, a descending device such as a figure 8 or one of the $20 rappel/belay devices, and some para cord to retrieve your rope once youre down. I use a prussik that is clipped to the leg strap on my saddle to hold the rope while I unhook my tether and when I stop on the way down to take sticks off. As far as techniques and stuff its much easier to make a video than to try to type it out. I'll try to shoot a video sometime in the next few days.

That is all you need to rappel and stop anywhere on the way down. Whole setup cost me less than $65

Sweet I have an ATC like that and biners already. Vid would be awesome! The concept of rigging your rope so you can descend but still be able to retrieve from ground is confusing to me too

Sweet I have an ATC like that and biners already. Vid would be awesome! The concept of rigging your rope so you can descend but still be able to retrieve from ground is confusing to me too

Tie a piece of paracord to your rope eye, throw to ground. Rappel. Pull rope eye with paracord from ground. Pick everything up.

It’s that easy. Pro tip - tie a stopper knot on the tag end of your eye knot and attach paracord there. You get more leverage pulling the girth hitch loose. Or, use a screw link or metal eye to girth hitch. Easier to get out of a bind.

Ahhhh ok. So girth hitch rap rope at height the para cord pulls that rope basically through itself to get it down, yes? That makes sense.
Now to figure out rigging of atc or fig 8. If using those devices, how do you tie off or secure so you can undo stepps etc? Is that what an autoblock is for?

Ahhhh ok. So girth hitch rap rope at height the para cord pulls that rope basically through itself to get it down, yes? That makes sense.
Now to figure out rigging of atc or fig 8. If using those devices, how do you tie off or secure so you can undo stepps etc? Is that what an autoblock is for?

Yes. And Yes the autoblock is what the Prussik around the leg loop is for. Grab top side rope feeds through and you descend. Let go, it puts tension on tag rope which cinches it into the teeth of the atc, stopping you.

Good stuff. All this based off saddle or need rch too?

Y’all are awesome thx. If time permits a quick vid of setup, even at ground level would be the phenomenal.
Anybody I talk to about this around me is like....”you wanna do what?”

Good stuff. All this based off saddle or need rch too?

Saddle unless your bridge is too long for you to reach your rappel device, in which case you could affix a short sling to bridge loops to get it closer to you and let bridge dangle

There are plenty of videos of rappel on YouTube. Spend a few hours going down that rabbit hole

Tie a piece of paracord to your rope eye, throw to ground. Rappel. Pull rope eye with paracord from ground. Pick everything up.

It’s that easy. Pro tip - tie a stopper knot on the tag end of your eye knot and attach paracord there. You get more leverage pulling the girth hitch loose. Or, use a screw link or metal eye to girth hitch. Easier to get out of a bind.
Sorry about so many questions.. could you take a picture of this?

Roger that. Did a little bit last night, raised more questions, lol.

There’s probably 10-20 threads you guys should read in this section of the forum too. Lots of helpful information pictures and videos. It would take you less time to search them up than for someone to grab gear and take pictures or make a video. Search rappel, SRT, DRT etc.

I would like to eventually implement a rappelling setup utilizing my tree squeeze, but have no idea how to go about it.

Back