• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling when climbing with bolts?

Teamclark

Anybody descend with rappelling gear after climbing up with bolts? I am making the switch from sticks to bolts and have rappelling gear but trying to figure out if it is worth carrying in the extra bulk/weight. I feel like rappelling in general is one of the safest ways to descend the tree but not sure how well that works with bolts projecting out of the tree and if it is just a waste of time/effort if I need to stop every couple feet to pull bolts.

I always went faster just using linemans belt with bolts.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

One of the advantages in bolts is how fast you come down.

part of that advantage is consistent spacing so you don’t have to look down when going to next bolt. But even if you can’t do that because of branches or knots, its still really fast.

I don’t carry rappel when I use bolts, with the exception being really really cold weather that I’m layering up in the tree. the restricted range of motion with tons of clothes on makes rappel more of a benefit. Plus what’s the extra pound of rope when you’re carrying 20lbs of extra clothes.

On private property, anyone set the bolts and just leave them in permanently, just inspect them each year?
Sure. Over time they grow in. Some people come out with a wrench and slowly back them out as this happens i think.

I started using rappel gear this season, and have found it’s worth it when I have to climb over multiple limbs to get to hunting height. Rappelling down is much faster and safer than having to deploy my backup LB multiple times on the descent, especially in the dark.
Also helps if you’re hunting high 25+.

Back