• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling with atc question

lungpuncher1

I’ve searched and can’t seem to find a definitive answer. I tried at ground level rappelling with my atc and a Beal jammy as my autoblock for the first time yesterday. I get the theory completely but I had a hard time controlling the autoblock smoothly, which in return had a hard time controlling my decent obviously. I would either stop and jam up or I’d basically free fall.

I had my beal jammy as a Prusik, wrapped around 4 times. Should I use a sterling HollowBlock instead, use less wraps or tie a completely different autoblock knot? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure it's not the ATC that is causing the rough descent? When you grab the jammy to release it's hold try to use more of a sideways motion as opposed to down the rope. It may be the teeth on the ATC biting into the rope and once you get slack with the friction hitch your rope is released abruptly and you get the jerky descent. That was what I found was causingme the same issue. Rappels are smooth as silk now.
Beal jammy is the bomb, don't change your gear just perfect your technique. Good luck.

As I read your post I think of 2 things I do that may be different:
1 - I have increased the distance between the belay device and the autoblock friction hitch.
2 - I essentially bypass the friction hitch completely when rappelling by taking all the pressure off the friction hitch and only use hand pressure to control speed of descent. only relying on the friction hitch for emergency stop or holding vertical position on the rope.
So in item 2; what I do is loosen the friction hitch in my hand by pulling down and letting the hitch rest inside my hand as rope moves through the hitch and hand. When I want to slow down I grip the rope and gradually let the hitch tighten as I slowly let the hitch migrate up and come to a complete stop.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, that does make sense. I ordered a HollowBlock from dano as well so I may try it too. One way or another I’ll find the perfect combo and technique. Just nice to get first had advice

Anyone else care to share their technique/ equipment?

I'm looking at the same technique - rappel with an ATC device as opposed to the Safeguard. This is what I'm thinking of for safety/backup to the ATC:

Back