• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling with caribiners

Parkerbow

Does anyone on here rappel back down from your tree with just caribiners and a prusik knot as a blocker under the biners. I seen a video on how to use 2 biners as a descender. It looked pretty safe without buying another descender.

I tried rapelling with a forked stick but it proved to be somewhat unreliable. I bought some proper descenders and never went back. :D Why reinvent the wheel?

Use one of these. And if you rotate downwards 180 degrees after you loop through, before you hook in, it will work as a progress capture while under load.

So you can pull the small part of the 8 down to let you rappel, but as soon as you let go it releases you.

90% of my sits last year were single stick up, rappel down with this.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Use one of these. And if you rotate downwards 180 degrees after you loop through, before you hook in, it will work as a progress capture while under load.

So you can pull the small part of the 8 down to let you rappel, but as soon as you let go it releases you.

90% of my sits last year were single stick up, rappel down with this.

I saw these and though about buying one. So can you stop under load with this and pull your one stick and then descend all the way down under control?

I’ve heard of guys rapelling with a caribiner and a Munter Hitch.......but only in an emergency. I’ve never done it, and I hope I never do!!

I saw these and though about buying one. So can you stop under load with this and pull your one stick and then descend all the way down under control?
Yeah, if you look through my post history, I have one from last summer with a youtube video explaining it.

Regular rappel with an 8 you need to throw a loop in to stop. The way I run it you just need to not pull down on the small eye.

Yeah, if you look through my post history, I have one from last summer with a youtube video explaining it.

Regular rappel with an 8 you need to throw a loop in to stop. The way I run it you just need to not pull down on the small eye.

Thanks so much, I just ordered a figure 8. Now I just need to find your youtube video. Thanks again.

Run a Munter hitch through a biner attached to (long) saddle bridge, back it with a (short) prussik friction hitch attached to side linesman loop, make sure the prussik is far enough away and can't get caught up in the biner Munter hitch. The Munter will hold/friction the rope enough so you can tend the Prussik and slowly let out the rope as you walk down the tree, I wrap the rope behind me and back to my other hand for added assurance. Transferring off of a tether to the rappel rope can be tricky if you don't have a stand/ platform or stick/ branch to stand on and take the weight off.

Last edited:

If anyone chooses to do this, back it up with something like an autoblock under it.

If anyone chooses to do this, back it up with something like an autoblock under it.
Yeah, I dont SRT with that anymore, I would certainly auto block it for climbing, but do you auto block when you rappel?

Yeah, I dont SRT with that anymore, I would certainly auto block it for climbing, but do you auto block when you rappel?

The answer should be yes. You tend the auto with your lead hand behind the rappel device for added safety on descent, that way if you lose the break your backed up.

I will probably use the figure 8 with a prusik rope auto block beneath it for added safety. I can tell with rappelling, take your time and go slow and safe. No reason to be fast just getting out of a stand setup. I like to be able to hunt the next day.

Yes, use it for rapelling. I got lazy once and didn’t use it while rapelling with the exact technique mentioned above. I had a hard time pulling down on the small end of the 8 to release friction. When it did release, the free end of the rope passed under the anchor end and completely let me free fall 12’ flat on my back. It sucked. I’ll never rappel without a backup again. Don’t be an idiot like me.

Back