• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ratchet mod

bfriendly

Ok so a ratchet is gonna be the tightest attachment method for anything IMHO. I have several and want to use them, especially for my ROS when it comes.. The hawk strap is one end, but the permanent ratchet side is the issue. I don’t trust the webbing that came with my straps, but if I did, it’d be a done deal! Can I trust it? Or, I can make a short amsteel and hitch it to the ratchet. I’d love y’all’s opinions on this. I can tighten the ratchet with basically no sound by touching the clicking parts…..very comfortable using ratchets. I like the short bridge attachment I made, but can I trust it at 3/16”, hitched around that long tube rivet thingy?
I tested the original strap and it’s as flimsy as can be……..I think I’ll cut it off and use the amsteel

Me personally I wouldn’t trust the hawk strap as I figure they threw in the cheapest they could find. Hit up ratchetstraps.com and look at the endless ratchet straps like this one:
I that on my bullmans and it was great.

The hawk strap is pretty tough, but look at this flimsy thing! What about this cord instead?

I like to eliminate the short connector strap and just use one long strap that is open on the end. That way you can feed the open end through the ratchet slot and tighten it up solidly around the tree. I also like to mark the outside of the strap with paint dots so I can tell if the strap gets twisted.

I drill out the rivet and remove the short connector strap. Then I take a long strap that has a loop sewn into it, and put it where the short strap was. Replace the rivet that you drilled out with a grade 8 bolt and locking nut to connect the loop of the long strap to the ratchet. Now you have a one piece ratchet strap. Since you are rebuilding the ratchet strap, you can use whatever webbing strap you feel comfortable with.

Attachments

• Ratchet Strap.JPG
    Ratchet Strap.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 38
Back