• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reasonable starter bow for an 11 year old

Spur

Any suggestions on something I can get him that he might be able to eventually hunt and definately grow with with as well? One that won't break the bank. This will be a birthday present.

Don't judge me, he will be proficient before he sets his sights on a deer.

I have a Diamond Infinite Edge for my wife. It is very light, has a wide range of draw weights and lengths, and comes with basic accessories.

I have a Diamond Edge that I'd be interested in selling. It was my brothers bow that he used from 8-14.

As for judging, Dad started letting both me and my two brothers bow hunt at age 10 when we could comfortably pull 40#. One of us first killed at 11, and two of us first killed at 12.

I bought my 12 yr old son a Diamond Infinite edge, it was around $300. It adjusts to 70 lb and 30 in draw. In reality he can hunt with this bow until he decides to buy his own. You do need a press to adjust it tho. My son grew like 4 inches since the summer so I need to get him to the bow shop for adjustments.

Bear Cruzer, or Diamond Infinite Edge. Very adjustable. The bear is the better feeling bow, but both are very servicable. I'd hunt with the Bear in a heartbeat.

Got my son a Bear Cruzer G2(?) a couple years ago. Other than the fact that he picked purple on it, I'd take it over my own - it feels lighter than my older Diamond "The Rock".

Got it as a package deal from Cabelas for maybe 300, then had my local shop re-set it up for him the next year - he'd grown 3 inches and his draw length was easy to adjust.

Good bow. But now he's lost his quiver somewhere.

Got my son a Bear Cruzer G2(?) a couple years ago. Other than the fact that he picked purple on it, I'd take it over my own - it feels lighter than my older Diamond "The Rock".

Got it as a package deal from Cabelas for maybe 300, then had my local shop re-set it up for him the next year - he'd grown 3 inches and his draw length was easy to adjust.

Good bow. But now he's lost his quiver somewhere.
I personally was always drawn to the blue. ;)

Diamond infinite edge. Just so you know i use a diamond infinite edge to hunt, so it can scale up. my son uses my Razor edge pro that i retired after 10 years. my 12 year old son has had huge growth spurts and we were able to adjust the bow to him.

Hoyt also makes a really nice fully adjustable bow that goes from about 15 lbs of draw to about 70 by turning the limb screws (evenly of course). My son (now 10) has been shooting that one for 2 summers now, and every couple of weeks I give the limbs a 1/2 turn or so tighter to increase his draw weight. It shoots really nice for a grow with you bow.

My daughter started with a Mission Menace. 17-30” pull and 16-52 lbs pull. Great starter bow and legal and ethical to hunt with. She just decided to sell it now that she’s an adult

Got my daughter a mission hype dxt last Christmas for under $300 new , it’s fully adjustable & she’s 15 now & I just had to bump the draw length a bit. She was shooting great groups right out of the gate. If she keeps working at it she could hunt with it this year.

Several highly adjustable bows for kids from good companies nowadays.My son killed his first deer at the age of 7 with a Browning Micromidas shooting a blistering 27 lbs.Two blade Magnus Stinger at 12 yards passed completely through.My absolute proudest moment as a Bowhunter.

He is right handed. Tough sell will be momma. I would prefer to get him something he could grow into and use for a while, she prefers to get something and see if he sticks with it, then get him a better one. My fear is a cheap bow may turn him off if it sucks too bad.

Back