• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendation for rock climbing harness...

Look at the Metolius Safe Tech I am selling in the classifieds. The disadvantage with them is the leg loops don't have quick release. But that also makes them safer. The gear loops are made stronger than normal harnesses and there are 2 belay loops on the front which makes it easier to switch connections. It is a real comfy harness. I just bought it to test out some climbing and rappel devices

Everyone here seems to be averse to buckles, but I can tell you the biggest luxury to me is a waist and leg loops I can open. This drives the price point, and to an extent, the weight of a harness up. It is not a requirement, but man it's nice.

If you're using it as a backup to some sort of sling, and weight is your biggest concern, you've got several of the ultralight harnesses to choose from. These usually don't have leg adjustments, but a couple do. None will have buckles. They are comfortable enough for climbing/rapelling 20-30'. They get more comfortable over winter clothing - this is important when choosing a harness. If you're hunting in really cold temps most of the year, a padded more comfortable harness is kind of a waste. Keep in mind, You will be stepping into them. Another tip is to put them on over base layer, and leave fly's open to clip into biner as you layer up. I've done it with two layers.

If it's something you'll use a lot outside of your sling - setting cameras, setting trees/platforms, any other climbing (hell i'm the neighborhood limb cutter now, be careful who sees you climbing in your front yard), I'd recommend getting one of the more comfortable padded harnesses. You're still going to be stepping into these. But they'll be more comfortable with less clothing. Tip here - they're going to have all kinds of gear loop and extra crap you don't need. Look for a more minimal one.

I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NGZ3OVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lightest weight - looks like a piece of lingerie, but does the job and packs up size of my fist. I actually removed the keeper straps for the leg loops. This allows me to sort of step into it. I essentially bring the waist loops around, clip into a biner, then reach between my legs and pull the two leg loops up and do the same. It weighs nothing, and make sure you're wearing briefs and adjust before you load this thing up...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5P53KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just picked this one up. weighs 19 ounces. The metal buckles are heavy - I assume in the effort to make it cheap, they forego aluminum for steel. But, this is pretty comfortable, and has no extra bells and whistles. One gear loop on right side. Honestly, if this thing had aluminum adjusters, it would be perfect for what i'm doing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR7BVUE/ref=twister_B001V7UU24

This one weighs 15 ounces. I cut all the extra gear loops off the back - they interfere with slings. It's comfortable enough with the padding. I've had it for 2 years now and will probably switch to the one above this year for the majority of my uses. I don't really feel a huge difference in comfort in the two for our purposes, and the other one has less going on, in spite of the extra weight.

http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/new-option-for-saddle.3715/

Then, you can see my homemade sling I made - load rated buckles on waist and legs. Being able to click on is a huge advantage.

https://mistymountain.com/shop/military-tactical/military-harnesses/ish-ultralight-urban-sit-kit/

I'll be making a copy of this myself. The buckles are about 75.00, and I'll spend another 15.00 on the webbing and several hours hand stitching the load bearing joints. Honestly for what we do - this is the most convenient option available, but it comes at a price.

I should have said that this is going to assist in my climbing method with the preacher seat I just made. I figured I could use the rock climbing harness to get to stand height then take the preacher off my back clip it in and sit down.

I should have said that this is going to assist in my climbing method with the preacher seat I just made. I figured I could use the rock climbing harness to get to stand height then take the preacher off my back clip it in and sit down.

Knowing that - I'd recommend the Magideal one for a couple of reasons. Because you're going to have a firm base under you, the padded leg straps of regular RC harnesses will create a pressure point in reverse and cause you discomfort. The flat webbing of the magideal one will not interfere. Because you'll be using it to climb, the edelrid thong one won't be fun.

How are you climbing the tree?

Knowing that - I'd recommend the Magideal one for a couple of reasons. Because you're going to have a firm base under you, the padded leg straps of regular RC harnesses will create a pressure point in reverse and cause you discomfort. The flat webbing of the magideal one will not interfere. Because you'll be using it to climb, the edelrid thong one won't be fun.

How are you climbing the tree?
web aider...climb up the aider...sit down in the harness...move the aider up...etc..

web aider...climb up the aider...sit down in the harness...move the aider up...etc..

Yup - i'll stick with my recommendation. Also, I've found the easiest way to bring a sling seat up the tree that you aren't using to climb, is to have it diagonal across one shoulder with the bridge connected to both sides of sling or seat(the wood part on your back obviously). Once at height, you can clip in above your harness, and slide over your shoulder and under your butt. Works pretty seamlessly.

Here's a more well known brand - mine appears to be a knockoff of this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HHPC3...t=&hvlocphy=9025385&hvtargid=pla-316084975828

It weighs 14.5 ounces - this must mean it's got aluminum buckles, or the steel ones are smaller. Dammit it's so cheap I may buy it.

Yup - i'll stick with my recommendation. Also, I've found the easiest way to bring a sling seat up the tree that you aren't using to climb, is to have it diagonal across one shoulder with the bridge connected to both sides of sling or seat(the wood part on your back obviously). Once at height, you can clip in above your harness, and slide over your shoulder and under your butt. Works pretty seamlessly.

Here's a more well known brand - mine appears to be a knockoff of this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HHPC3...t=&hvlocphy=9025385&hvtargid=pla-316084975828

It weighs 14.5 ounces - this must mean it's got aluminum buckles, or the steel ones are smaller. Dammit it's so cheap I may buy it.
just ordered it should be here next Thursday or Friday

Back